Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BF while pregnant, any tips or story to tell?

(6 Posts)
helloelo Fri 13-Nov-15 21:01:16

Hello,
DS1 is 10mo. Every day he BF 4-6 times (incl. 2 to 3 times at night) and has 4 other BLW meals.
I'm now 7w PG with D?2... huge surprise...
DS1 seems to have noticed a change in taste and he has been asking more than usual. I am having mild but noticeable contractions during his feeds. I have a 1 year (and beyond) BF goal, esp. as DS1 won't take a bottle and it's a brilliant way of making him sleep.
I've read the Kellymom FAQ on tandem BF but I would welcome any story or tip you might have. Thanks!

JasperDamerel Fri 13-Nov-15 21:07:03

DD was 2 when I was pregnant with DS, but probably fed about that much, as she was pretty boob-crazy. FB wasn't really a problem - she cut down quite a lot in the second trimester, and I could probably have weaned her from the breast without too much trouble at that point if I'd wanted too, but I ended up tandem nursing which was really nice and allowed me to have the luxury of sitting down for a test while caring got a baby and toddler.

The sensation of mild contractions is normal - it should be roughly the same as when you have an orgasm, so only needs to be avoided if you have the sort of high risk pregnancy where you aren't allowed sex.

lostindubai Fri 13-Nov-15 21:07:10

Well I carried on bf my toddler (just once a day) but at around ten weeks my milk dried up. I assume because of the pregnancy as had been feeding for over 2.5 years till then without a problem. Little one carried on feeding for comfort but I had to stop him just a few nights ago as he was mucking around too much and it was getting painful. I appreciate a younger baby might not do that though. So no more feeding for my ds but I did wonder if we might end up tandem feeding for a while there.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

poocatcherchampion Fri 13-Nov-15 21:08:45

I fed while pregnant and until dd1 was 2.5 and dd2 was one. I weaned them together. Dd1 was 9mo when I got pregnant so having food as well. I think she was night weaned as she slept through from v early on.

I remember it hurting when I was pregnant and there was less milk, but she was never dissatisfied. Dd2's suck felt so wonderfully gentle when she was born too.

It was fun all round. I've just had dc3 so the girls aew now feeding their Teddy's while I feed their brother. They are now 2 and 3.

helloelo Fri 13-Nov-15 21:28:16

Oh thanks for the speedy answers! Tbh I didn't even realised you could tandem BF until very recently but it feels like a natural thing to do I think (as in a logic follow up to what I'm doing now), if DS1 doesn't decide to self wean which would be early and sad.
Do you have any tips on keeping supply up? It seems most herbs are not advised during pg (but i've not done enough research)

Thanks Jasper for the contractions reassurance, Kellymom said the same thing but I couldn't help worry a tiny bit.

It's great to hear positive stories, keep them coming smile

helloelo Fri 13-Nov-15 21:30:17

poocatch love the girls feeding their teddies story! DS laughs a lot when his Ewan the sheep feeds on me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now