Talk

Advanced search

Why is every feed a fight???

(9 Posts)
BalaRua Tue 10-Nov-15 17:50:01

My 5 mo ebf ds cries and cries for a feed, during the feed and after the feed. He will stop feeding and push the boob away and turn his head and cry and then will only settle with his dummy. Why could this be? This doesn't happen during night feeds. He feeds when he wakes from his naps and feeds to sleep. Both are an absolute nightmare with him crying. Any ideas why?? Thanks.

bonzo77 Tue 10-Nov-15 18:08:55

This sounds a bit like silent reflux. There are lots of threads on it. Acid comes up from the stomach causing pain but not vomiting. The sucking on the dummy helps keep the acid down. There are medications you can get from your GP. They often grow out of it within the first year, with some improvement when they start solids. My middle child had this, and it was far less of a problem with night feeds too, goodness know why!

Kim82 Tue 10-Nov-15 18:11:44

My first thought was silent reflux too. My youngest has it still at 16 months and it's controlled with omeprazole. I'd make an appt with the gp and go from there. I will say, though, that gp's are notoriously crap when it comes to silent reflux so if you're not happy with their response ask for a referral to a paediatrician.

BalaRua Tue 10-Nov-15 18:13:53

Brilliant, thank you. Seems funny to call it 'silent' reflux when he shouts so much! Thanks for the advice I'll be calling up the gp in the morning.

bonzo77 Tue 10-Nov-15 21:17:14

i think its "silent" as opposed to normal reflux where they bring up their feeds. They tend to take the latter more seriously as they can fail to gain enough weight.

My GP was actually really good and we got DS2 sorted quite quickly. You say your DS is 5 months, has this all started recently or was it like this from the start?

BalaRua Tue 10-Nov-15 22:09:07

It's fairly recent to be honest. He kind of flings himself off the boob and looks round the room. Sometimes I can tell he's just knackered but he can't self settle and he doesn't want any more milk he just wants to suckle to sleep hence the dummy.

FifiFerusha Wed 11-Nov-15 09:24:51

All I can say is that I am in a very similar situation so I know how frustrating it is. My DS is coming up to four months. I can only feed him before a nap, mid nap and after otherwise he gets very stressed out, the same as yours. Mine uses his hands/thumb like yours uses a dummy when all this is going on. He cannot self sooth as yet. I have put a few threads about it on here with some good advice so may be worth having a look and seeing if anything works for you. I even went to the doctor as it has been like this for a few weeks now. They said it was distraction. I have to feed in the dark I guess. Hoping it's a phase. Let me know how it goes and if any solutions come your way x I will keep you posted too. .good luck, I feel for you.

BalaRua Wed 11-Nov-15 10:15:37

thanks fifi. It doesn't happen if I feed him at the exact right time. I wonder if I'm letting him get too hungry so he's getting annoyed that the milk isn't coming quick enough and that's why he's crying. It's not a pain cry it's more of an annoyed cry. Fifi are you coming up to the 4 month sleep regression? That was hell for me, good luck...

FifiFerusha Wed 11-Nov-15 14:25:05

That's good that he feeds if you get it at the right time. I think I am probably a bit of a wally for not getting my DS's hunger cues. He is just always trying to eat my shoulder, regardless of time. Perhaps he is annoyed that milk doesn't come out of shoulders ;). Terrible day today and last night. Woke up every 45 mins from 2 until 6 ish. Possible regression, but night before slept 7 , dream feed 11 and woke at six. That was a first, thought I had cracked it. Argh, they are here to test us. Roll on the regression x x . .i think. . .anyway I am going off on a tangent. Hope we find the cause of our fussy feeders!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now