Talk

Advanced search

constipation advice

(9 Posts)
Ladypug Tue 10-Nov-15 16:06:42

Our newborn is suffering from constipation and is in lots of pain to pass stools. Is there anything I can do to help this? I'm breastfeeding so will it help if I eat more fruit and fibre etc? The doctor has put me on iron tablets and I think that could cause constipation - could this be affecting her?

tiktok Tue 10-Nov-15 16:20:37

Sorry to hear this, ladypug.

How old exactly is your baby?

Lack of poo in a breastfed newborn is not usually constipation - can you describe what comes out if and when it does? Are you sure the pain is linked with this?

Fibre and fruit in your diet makes no difference at all - these act directly on your gut and don't get into the milk.

I don't know about iron tabs causing constipation in the baby.

A newborn not pooing is unusual and needs investigation. Has your baby been weighed? How is the feeding going?

BreeVDKamp Tue 10-Nov-15 16:26:08

My DS has been constipated pretty much his whole life, even when EBF. I'd recommend lots of leg bicycling, baby massage, and lactulose! We had Movicol initially but just gave him awful painful wind and didn't help him go.

Is it frequency or consistency that's concerning you? DS didn't go for 9 days, and when he did it was solid like a grown up poo. They don't worry about frequency until it's 13 days since last poo. Nowadays DS goes maybe twice a week, but it's always soft so they say that shows he's not constipated anymore.

tiktok Tue 10-Nov-15 16:29:09

Bree, it's fine for a healthy, thriving baby beyond newborn to go several days without a poo - after the first few weeks, it's not uncommon at all.

This baby is a newborn - it is definitely something to check out. And you would not give a newborn lactulose : (

Ladypug Tue 10-Nov-15 16:41:41

Baby is 1 week old but already I know her toilet habits so nappies have been full and healthy. I can see her straining and only v tiny amount of liquid poo coming out, she is in lots of pain and screaming when trying to pass stools. She is feeding lots (breast) and midwife tells me constipation in bf babies is rare. Seems too much of s coincidence that I'm on iron medication (which is affecting my stools) and at the same time she is suffering - I'm sure it must be crossing the milk

BreeVDKamp Tue 10-Nov-15 16:46:39

Just sharing my experience. Didn't know how newborn is newborn. Also mentioned massage and bicycling. But sorry.

flowers OP, hope she feels better soon.

tiktok Tue 10-Nov-15 16:51:00

Ladypug, this does not sound right at all - I am assuming her weight is normal and feeding is going well? The fact she has been pooing normally up to now is significant, and yes, if you have seen her upset when she is actually straining, then you're justified in putting two and two together.

Perhaps ask the doc or the midwife if you can have your iron by injection? I have just checked on LactMed toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm and intravenous iron does not affect iron levels in milk.

tiktok Tue 10-Nov-15 17:11:47

No need for apols, Bree smile Yes, it was your experience, but it wasn't relevant to the OP's and I sorta worried she (or others who might read it) might think it was smile

Ladypug Tue 10-Nov-15 19:46:30

Thanks all, saw a doctor and he said to stop taking the iron and give it till Thursday morning. If it improves we know it's the iron, if not get a paediatric to look at her. Thank you so much :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: