breastfeeding, got period at 6 weeks pp!

(8 Posts)
Havalina1 Tue 10-Nov-15 05:54:36

Can't believe it confused I'm exclusively breastfeeding and the baby's weight gain is really good. Was completely pre-menstrual craving chocolate but didn't cop it at all until af arrived yesterday.

To top it off my supply massively diminished tonight/now - baby fed a lot during the night and my boobs don't seem to be filling back up. He's due his 6 week cluster feed so I'm well pissed off. Does supply hop back quickly? I'm assuming it's hormone controlled from my period?

Havalina1 Tue 10-Nov-15 05:56:42

I should add... I'm feeling like a bag of cats... have a cold and sore throat and a massive creak in my neck from lying funny - I can't look down at baby!

whattodotoday Tue 10-Nov-15 08:34:17

Mine came back at four weeks pp, if that makes you feel better, and I am ebf. She does sleep for a decent stretch at night time though so maybe not a complete surprise, although that didn't mean I wasn't completely sorry for myself when it happened. I didn't notice a big drop in supply but maybe that was down to timing.

Hope you feel better soon, it's rubbish when you don't feel so good and you're still on baby duty. Those little critters don't take time off.

MrsBojingles Tue 10-Nov-15 16:12:23

Mine came back at 6 weeks, and has been regular as clockwork (now 14 months) I find my supply dips every period - in th early days that meant extra feeding. I used to eat a ton of oats to help my supply. Lactation cookies might help. My supply would always doing back after the period stopped.

Diggum Tue 10-Nov-15 16:18:22

Mine came back around then too despite boob-addict DD. I can't remember if supply dropped as she fed so often that if she had upped the feeds more she would have needed scuba gear to breathe.

Weirdly, my periods became incredibly regular from then on, having been somewhat erratic/prolonged before DD. I can set my watch to them now.... <wonders whether to use new powers for good or evil>

Havalina1 Wed 11-Nov-15 12:09:38

So I am not alone then! Supply is coming back, so that's good. I've my 6 week GP checkup this week so I'll ask her also, could it just be more post labour bleeding? I guess it's time to think about birth control too then sad

cabbageleaf Wed 11-Nov-15 19:07:03

I thought my period had come back eight weeks pp, but it only came once and didn't come back for another seven months or so. I was told this is often the case, it might be with you too!

Havalina1 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:02:48

I hope so cabbage! Thanks for throwing me some hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now