Talk

Advanced search

Know it's been done a million times but if anyone has ANY words of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated!

(11 Posts)
c737 Sun 08-Nov-15 09:51:58

Hi guys,

Have a 7 wk old very unsettled FF baby. Mostly unsettled in the eve (crying for hours, body rigid like a plank and bright red) and only poos one dark green, very pastey (sorry tmi) poo every about 36 hrs. As soon as you start feeding him you hear his stomach growling and reacting and he then starts jerking on and off the bottle, clearly hungry but also in pain.

He is fairly settled during the day and sleep not awful through not great, feeds around every 3 hrs.

Am not a first time mum so feel I should know what I'm doing here but I don't. HV reckons colic but the horrid poos and stomach noises/distress at feeding make me think otherwise.

Anyone got ANYTHING on this? Anything at all? Have a high maintenance toddler too and am at wits end having got her to bed then spending whole eve trying to calm baby before having a rough nights kip.

scandichick Sun 08-Nov-15 09:57:14

Sorry, no words of wisdom but lots of sympathy. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters will be along, but have you checked the symptoms for reflux?

c737 Sun 08-Nov-15 11:14:15

Thanks Scandi. Yes have checked those symptoms and tried baby gaviscon but to no effect. Do you know if they tend to grow out of reflux around 12 weeks ish as they do with colic?

TheOriginalWinkly Sun 08-Nov-15 11:17:20

I would be taking him to the GP. The Green poo makes me think of cows milk protein intolerance, the GP can prescribe a non allergic formula. If it is reflux (as well?) there are better meds than just gaviscon flowers

BettyBi0 Sun 08-Nov-15 11:46:16

The green poo makes me think cows milk protein allergy or possibly infection. Definitely best get checked by GP

c737 Sun 08-Nov-15 11:50:07

Thank you winkly. Yes we thought about the cows milk intolerance thing too so have been using non allergic formula since Thursday but he doesn't seem any better on it (maybe I'm being too impatient). That's a good point about there being better meds for reflux, am def going to take him to gp. DP doesn't think I should be fussing about it but I don't think one thick dark green poo every day or two is within the range of normal or am I wrong?

BumWad Sun 08-Nov-15 13:36:09

Hi, agree with others sounds like reflux due to cows milk protein allergy/intolerance.

Spitoon Sun 08-Nov-15 18:04:25

My little boy was exactly the same from about 5 weeks...I started him on Colief 3 weeks ago and he's been like a different baby ever since. It breaks down the lactose. Bit of a faff but really works.

c737 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:50:11

Thanks both, going to docs tomorrow. Will look at getting some colief too. Just so frustrating when you don't know what it is so can't start to tackle the problem. Also just feels like docs and hvs fob you off and dismiss problems quickly without taking it seriously

TheOriginalWinkly Mon 09-Nov-15 13:27:04

Have you seen the doc yet OP? How did it go?

c737 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:03:20

Yes saw the doc today and she has advised me to continue with the dairy free formula for a few days, then introduce gaviscon to the dairy free if still no improvement, then she will see me on Thursday and prescribe stronger meds if it still isn't any better. Hopefully we will get there in the end. Thank you for your help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now