Talk

Advanced search

Bottle refusing (or not?)

(6 Posts)
Blueredballoon Thu 05-Nov-15 14:35:51

Hi, I'm desperately trying to get my EBF (almost) 10 week old to take a bottle. I have a work event in about ten days where I'll need to be away from him for just over 2 hours and I'm quite stressed at the thought of him being hungry then!

He has has a few bottles of formula from my husband in the past few weeks- I would say around 3/4 with an absolute maximum of 2 ounces at a time. The issue is he just seems totally inconsistent and has been refusing just as much as he has accepted the bottle. We have tried different bottles, milks, expressing etc. He has never ever taken a bottle from me which I suppose isn't that surprising.

I'm just after advice as to whether you think he would take the bottle if he is hungry when I'm at this event. Is he a true bottle refuser or just fussy?! Any advice on to make it more successful consistently? I don't know what to do- hope he'll take the bottle or just cancel the event. The event is a presentation so there's no way I could feed him there.

Thanks smile

PhyllisDietrichson Thu 05-Nov-15 18:52:23

My neighbour tried a variety of teats for the same bottle and found the Cherry ended one was right for her baby - save her as was about to return to work too. Perhaps try that?

Beebar Thu 05-Nov-15 18:54:57

Nuk with a latex teat

Gracey79 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:59:00

Could try a non feeding position, car seat/bouncy chair or pram

WheresMyBurrito Thu 05-Nov-15 19:00:25

Could it be that he just doesn't like formula? Have you tried him with expressed breast milk?

Blueredballoon Thu 05-Nov-15 20:48:16

Thanks everyone- I'll try the Nuk this weekend.

I have tried expressing and although he didn't actually take the bottle he didn't get as upset with it as usual and was happy to at least have it in his mouth, so it might be worth trying a Nuk/ expressing combo. Is it just a case of slowly persevering?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now