Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding clothes? Cheap? Bras? Help!

(14 Posts)
TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Sun 01-Nov-15 20:33:09

Baby not due till February. I breastfed my last DC, but I ended up expressing after a few days, this time I would like to avoid that and have done lots of reading/joined groups etc.

Rather than forking out eye watering amount for nursing tops, I was thinking that plenty of nursing bras along with vest/shirt or cardigan combo would be best for ease of access?

My boobs are huge - I'm already an F - and last time they got even bigger and I struggled with blocked ducts due to too small bras. So I was thinking of buying the biggest cup size possible (an F at New Look) and using bra strap extenders? I just can't afford Bravissimo prices.

dontpokethebear Sun 01-Nov-15 20:38:17

I can't help bra wise, but I wear the primark £1.80 cami vests under everything. tshirts, shirts, jumpers. They have adjustable straps and pull down really easily and despite the cheap price they don't get pulled out of shape.
Could you wear nursing crop top type bras?

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 01-Nov-15 20:40:53

EBay has plenty of cheap nursing bras and tops

Watto1 Sun 01-Nov-15 20:44:55

Wear 2 fairly loose vest tops (cheap as chips in primark). Pull the bottom one down and the top one up. You'll probably need a cardi as well in February!

avocadoghost Sun 01-Nov-15 20:45:21

Clothes: you don't need special breastfeeding clothes. I just wear a vest under everything. Top comes up, vest comes down to let boob out, belly stays covered. Job done.

Bras: you can convert ordinary bras into nursing bras - I've done one and I'm shit at sewing so it must be easy! So if you manage to get a normal bra to fit you that might be a solution? If you google "DIY nursing bra tutorial" it'll bring up instructions. For the clips and elastic you can either buy kits on eBay or it might work out cheaper to buy a 2-pack of nursing bras from Primark and just cut them off.

I feel your pain, I'm an E and my boobs were horrendous when my milk came in. But if it's the cup size that's an issue then a back extender won't help because that won't help the cup cover your whole breast, it'll just move it forward a bit.

I did buy these when my milk came in and my boobs ballooned - they're not supportive really but I still wear them for bed sometimes, and they do ok for the first few days! m.direct.asda.com/george/womens/lingerie/strappy-lace-trim-comfort-bra/G004469165,default,pd.html

avocadoghost Sun 01-Nov-15 20:46:46

Sorry, realised you said strap extender not back extender - but either way I don't know that it would help the issue of the cup being too small.

louise987 Mon 02-Nov-15 07:47:32

H&M and ASOS do good cheap nursing clothes and bras so maybe try there if you haven't already, but like others on here I don't think you necessarily need nursing clothes and can adapt normal clothes.

I also wear the bump bands I wore in pregnancy under vest tops (particularly if im wearing strap it tops) so that when I pull the top up to feed my tummy stays covered.

Best of luck!

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Mon 02-Nov-15 19:54:24

I've breastfed three babies but never had a nursing bra. I've always just flopped my boob out over the top of regular bras. I don't know why I never tried nursing bras but normal bras have always been fine for me. I'm normally a 34D/E but leap up to 36G when pregnant and first BFing then settle at around 36F.

Before my milk supply regulated I would leak a lot at night but hated wearing a bra in bed. I found these great vests from M&S that were about £8 each. They had an in built crop top support thing which enabled me to secure breast pads in place. They really transformed my comfiness at night and were soooo much cheaper than the same products that have the words 'maternity' or 'breastfeeding' attached to their name!

Spitoon Sun 08-Nov-15 18:25:11

I have a worn-once Carriwell Gel wire nursing bra that fits across a range of cup/back sizes. I went from a G to a H. I could send it to you if you would like? PM your address if you'd like it. (I don't want anything for it BTW)

Focusfocus Sun 08-Nov-15 19:25:44

eBay. eBay. . Even with postage it's ridiculously cheap.

Facebook group for selling and buying - 'can I breastfeed in it UK selling page"

Primary for dirt cheap vests I am living in.

NewBallsPlease00 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:32:37

Am in a 32h/I nursing bra- bravado tshirt one fwiw and gone down route of investing in high quality scaffolding with cheap otherwise, so, usual clothes are maternity jeans or leggings (son 2 weeks old, and stitches need comfort!!) with cheap and slightly too big longline vest then loose fot top be that tshirt, shirt or jumper
Outer top up, vest down bea unclipped and job done
I have bought a couple of nursing tips from face book groups but tbh at this stage I still have a distended abdomen and feel conscious of looking 4 months pregnant first baby didn't gave this second baby I'm not sure if it's swelling still or maternity chocolate cake...

StrawberryLeaf Sun 08-Nov-15 20:08:13

There is a fantastic Facebook page called 'Can I breastfeed in it?', there's loads of members all discussing bras and clothing, there's links to measure properly for bras and bargains to get, I have bought recommended bras and clothes from that Facebook page on eBay and Amazon. It's really worth a look.

I mainly do the 'one up one down' method for feeding, I like matalan vests, the neck stretches well and they are long.

Just to add OP, I'm successfully breastfeeding dc2 after a hard time with dc1 including months of expressing. This time it's been very straightforward, not a pump in sight! Good luck.

HeyMicky Sun 08-Nov-15 20:17:02

It's worth signing up to Zulily. They often have BF bras in their flash sales. I bought several of excellent quality at about 70% off

Nottalotta Tue 10-Nov-15 15:57:52

I just got a Jojo maman bebe dress off ebay for less than a tenner. Worn once.

Also wear h & m vests daily and in bed. Small boobs so no bra needed with these vests. £20 for two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now