Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

someone tell me if EBF is going well?

(7 Posts)
Focusfocus Sat 31-Oct-15 13:13:17

Hi all

So, DS is 2 weeks old today. Following an incidence of prolonged rupture of me brands we spent first week in hospital with him on precautionary ABs but nothing wrong with him really, stayed with us and came home fine.

I've been EBF from the outset and I just want some feedback on whether they think it's going okay and talk about some doubts etc.

He is a very alert and relaxed baby. No crying unless nappy change time.
His feeds are generally between 8-30 minutes in length, the longer ones happening between 8-11 pm.
My nipples feel fine, no cracks etc.
lots of wet nappies - we use reusables and change 2-3 hours it's always very wet and almost every one is also dirty - runny, non smelly yellow poo.
He naps for 2-3 hours between feeds and spends more and more awake and alert time daily.
I did clock my feeding time for the last few days and it ranges between 2.5-3.5 hours each day.
He has a big feed at 11 pm ish and another at 3 am, apart from that sleeps through.
Sucks are frantic to start with, then nice and guttural with pauses and swallows then fluttery to tail off, he delayed he's himself, refuses second boob.

Okay, so here are my doubts/queries -

1. His maximum weight loss was 6% on Day 4. Since then it's going up with every weighing (weighed more often owing to hospital history) and on Day 13 (yesterday) he was 1.9% under birth weight. I know that's not much at all about 60-70 gms of a birth weight of 3.6 kgs but is this a slow gain?

2. His feeds can be on the short side, most are 8-15 mins really. I begin pouring milk out the moment I offer boob and I know he gets milk from get set go, but the short feeds do make me wonder.

Any thoughts anyone? Should I be waking him to feed him? Combining alert awake time and nap time he seems enormously happy to go 3 hours ish between feeds. Does feed a fair few times at night before bed.

Focusfocus Sat 31-Oct-15 13:14:46

Delatches*

tiktok Sat 31-Oct-15 14:16:40

Sounds as if you had a slow start and it would be unsurprising for your baby to be slow to get going, but in fact everything you say is within normal. If you are concerned he is not at birthweight then the easiest thing to do is to offer more breastfeeds and/or offer an extra breast each time. The length of his feeds are normal, not especially short.

Hope this helps!

mintbiscuit Sat 31-Oct-15 16:38:23

My babies have all been fairly short feeders. I would go with tik tok's advice of more feeds and extra breast. I know I was feeding more frequently than every 3 hrs when they were tiny.

Mrscog Sat 31-Oct-15 16:41:16

Sounds like it's going well to me. If there are no other concerns, and your baby seems well I don't think slow gain is generally considered a problem. My DS1 was a slow gainer - typically 3oz a week, but then had a couple of random growth spurts later on (around 16 weeks) when other babies had stopped their massive weekly gains, and he gained 2lbs in 3 weeks!

Focusfocus Sat 31-Oct-15 16:42:14

Thanks. It's not that I'm unwilling to be feeding more often, or that I've myself come up with the magic number of three hours. I set out with feeding as he demands. it's rather that he feeds, then he sleeps. Then he wakes and feeds, then he sleeps. Having noted down the timings of these, I realised that it's averaging every three hours.

Will try waking him up during his naps to incorporate extra feeds.

SweetAdeline Sat 31-Oct-15 16:45:11

Some babies are really efficient feeders. Very few of dd's feeds lasted more than about 5-8mins. She went 3hrs between feeds really early.
Ds fed for slightly longer each time but fed constantly round the clock. So I don't think you can judge how much they're getting from time/frequency.

I like the idea of regular (ie <2hr daytime feeds) to encourage the difference between day and night but if I'm honest I think very little you do early on makes a difference. It's all nature not nurture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now