Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I express without affecting supply?

(5 Posts)
MadGhostlyGnome Wed 28-Oct-15 11:10:54

DS is nearly six months and exclusively breast fed. I haven't ever really bothered with expressing, other than the odd bit of hand expressing which doesn't produce much, mainly because I haven't needed to be away from him and I didn't want to mess things up when feeding was going so well.

However we're getting to the point where I would like to be able to go out for a bit and let DH look after DS knowing there was a decent bit of milk stored for them to use. I'm hiring a breast pump for a week to try to do this but have no idea how to go about expressing milk to freeze without it affecting what DS would normally drink.

Should I pump regularly, irregularly, for a long time, a short time...? How much milk should I aim to get? I am absolutely clueless. Help?!

Lweji Wed 28-Oct-15 21:42:07

I'd really not bother at 6 months and just give him formula. He should be starting other foods now and the occasional bottle won't be much of a problem.

Unless your DS resists formula.

43percentburnt Wed 28-Oct-15 21:51:08

Hi, I returned to work when DS was almost 5 months, I built up about 30 bags of milk (frozen) for my return. I then expressed until he was 12 months, at which point he started drinking cows milk and I fed him when we were together.

One month prior to my return to work I introduced a 7 am express, for approx 20 mins. He fed at 5:30am. I did this every day without fail. I then introduced another time of day ( can't remember what time, probably 11am ish). I froze the milk and it meant my supply just increased which made my return to work easier (20 ounces a day expressed at work over three sessions long hours!).

I used a spectra dew electric pump - it's very good - far better than one I used previously. About 15 mins to express.

Hope that helps.

43percentburnt Wed 28-Oct-15 21:55:23

Morning, regular, 20 mins. Expect a very tiny amount to start with. Persevere. Don't bother to do it in the evening as I believe hormones increase supply over night so you will get more in the morning. I found a hand pump impossible btw.

MadGhostlyGnome Wed 28-Oct-15 22:42:30

Thanks, a morning session (or two) it is then. He's been drinking less overnight recently so boobs are full by the morning, will give that a go.

Don't want to use formula given the choice, would rather give breast milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now