Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

8oz feeds or hungry baby

(13 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:25:24

My DS is 16 weeks old- he is drinking 7oz bottles 5 times a day and often draining these. He is also waking earlier and earlier in the night for a feed resulting in his morning feed really being a night feed (5-5.30) and him going straight back to sleep.

I can see he is hungry and his previous long stretch at night is diminishing- do I up to 8oz bottles? Seems an awful lot. Or do I get a couple of bottles of hungry baby formula? Never used this with DD so no experience. He's such a hungry boy not sure what to do.

BertieBotts Tue 27-Oct-15 08:27:44

8oz is fine smile Or add in another feed?

ExitStageLeft Tue 27-Oct-15 08:29:37

DS was like this, I remember getting anxious as I saw the bottle just drain away. Personally I would up the bottles to 8oz in favour of hungry baby milk. Have you also got a slow drain bottle like Dr Brown you could try? He may be confusing hunger for comfort...it's really hard to know what to do but if he's finishing all the bottles and not being sick I would offer more.

slightlyconfused85 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:39:47

I have kept him on size 2 teats for a slower flow incase it's a comfort thing but I think he's just hungry!!
He already feeds 3 hourly so not sure where I would put another feed unless it's a dream feed- ive tried this with disastrous effect...!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 27-Oct-15 08:43:33

Feed 2 and a half hourly? DD is 16 weeks and feeds every 2 hours (BF), including through the night.

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:46:04

3houly is fine with formula, id just up the bottle size my ds took two bottle back to back just before going down for the night at that age.
How is his weight? Id only give hungry baby or.water if he is putting on weight to fast.

slightlyconfused85 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:54:17

I've not had him weighed in a while but no doubt he's a big boy. Will try to take him on Thursday. Dd was big and I got a lot of lectures from the HV about giving her too much milk- she turned out fine! But it was never 8oz a feed.

Artandco Tue 27-Oct-15 08:57:15

I would just give him 7oz every 2 hrs during the day. 3 hrs is a long time without a drink

slightlyconfused85 Tue 27-Oct-15 12:56:29

Thanks everyone- will give bigger bottles a go for now. I feel like I'm not getting anything right for him at the moment- he doesn't seem very content (he was until a couple of weeks ago) and his sleep isn't great now. I hate the baby stage- can't wait till milk feeding and endless naps are a thing of the past..

Willow123707 Tue 27-Oct-15 14:27:36

My LO is 12 weeks and has been on 7 oz bottles since 8 weeks lol. She is a big baby and loves her milk. I'd say it's fine to increase it, go with the flow and let him set the pace.

TheOriginalWinkly Tue 27-Oct-15 16:41:32

It's not that you're doing anything wrong OP, 16 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt and developmental changes which can lead to increased appetite and disturbed sleep. Your DS is bang on (irritating) schedule smile

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 19:46:12

I was just coming back to tell you about.the 4 month regression/growth spurt bit see I've been beaten to it. smile

slightlyconfused85 Wed 28-Oct-15 08:14:44

Thanks everyone glad it's all normal. Dd was unusually good- 12 hours at 12 weeks and no regressions - just a bit of teething here and there. DS woke twice last night - find it hard to sleep again after feeding him at 5.30 as DD gets up about 6.30 so it's an early start. Feeling pretty grumpy and 'it'll never get better' today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now