Talk

Advanced search

Nursing strike, breast refusal, distracted baby or an efficient feeder. . Which?

(10 Posts)
FifiFerusha Sat 24-Oct-15 22:17:32

Hi all,

So, my DS is three months. Over the past weeks or so he has been funny about feeding on the right side. I have had issues with this side in the first six weeks, cracks, mastitus, abscess, you name it. I persevered and sometimes he will feed from it for a couple of minutes in rugby hold. Sometimes he screams when I put him in a position ready to feed from it. Sometimes when he tries to latch he kind of can't suck it in or something, he is particularly bad tempered after he has had a couple of minutes feeding from it and I try to put him on again Sometimes when he comes off my let down spray doesn't stop for about 30 seconds even if he isn't on it. . If that makes sense. However now he is acting similarly on the other side when he has fed from it for two or three minutes. He gets frustrated when I try and put him back on or he often wants to stop to look at me and smile or coo, which is sweet(could he be distracted, did dark room thing, no difference) thought it might be breast refusal as he has an evening bottle but he is acting the same way with the bottle. Not wanting to drink much. . I have persevered and got as much down him as I could as today I feel he has hardly fed enough although he seems normal in his spirit. So, is this a nursing strike, or has he had enough feed after two or three minutes. .just not wanting the bottle too is confusing me. Apologies for long post and any advice much appreciated x

KP86 Sat 24-Oct-15 22:22:38

Ear infection that hurts (internal pressure) when he is lying on that side?

FifiFerusha Sat 24-Oct-15 22:28:40

Sorry, just considered how long 30 seconds is. .let down spray more like 10 seconds. .oops

FifiFerusha Sat 24-Oct-15 22:33:10

I wondered if he may be brewing a potential cold or being poorly as DD has a cold. So, it could be that he is poorly or an ear infection. .just have to see how it pans out.

wtfih Sat 24-Oct-15 22:33:47

No words of wisdom from me I'm afraid, but place marking as I have a similar issue lately with dd 11weeks old

FifiFerusha Sun 25-Oct-15 22:54:55

Bump. . As similar today. Am trying to coax him on the breast by putting him near it and letting him find his way. This has helped but he sucks for a minute or two then comes off quite purposefully, then roots to come on again then latched, then comes off and repeats this pattern. He is doing something similar when approaching his evening bottle. At this time i found rocking while feeding helped. Is it just distraction? Am getting worried now or at least confused

LJH79 Mon 26-Oct-15 11:09:04

No words of wisdom here either but having similar problems! Is it a three month thing I wonder? My ds is fine for first part of feed and then starts getting stressed and really difficult to feed. Nightmare if you are out and about. Maybe someone will come along with some advice!

KP86 Mon 26-Oct-15 19:22:54

If you think he's a bit unwell then a blocked nose could be preventing him from breathing properly and so he has to pull off to breathe through his mouth.

Do you have access to a lactation consultant through your HV who may be able to help more?

FifiFerusha Fri 30-Oct-15 07:07:54

Oh dear this seems to be getting worse. He actually doesn't seem ûnwell though. I will get him weighed at baby clinic next week. He is in good spirits but is screeching before a feed, come on then off, on then off. I mange two good feeds a day if I catch him when sleepy. When having his evening bottle he starts turning his head after half an ounce and am constàntly having to move it with him as when I remove it he creeches for more. He is usually a very placid baby so this is confusing me and between feeds he is still a happy. He surely can't bè getting énough from the two to four mins he sometimes stays on. He feeds every two and a hàlf to three hours but never reálly demands. I simply make sure I offer it. SUrely I shouldn't be waiting longer between feeds. Not sure what do sad

Nottalotta Fri 30-Oct-15 07:28:41

I would go to a bf support group/cafe if i were you. There is a wealth of advice available and you may even get to demonstrate while there.

I am having a couple of issues myself and will gk to my local group on Tuesday i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now