Advanced search

Newborn Baby has lost 12.5% on day 6

(5 Posts)
tattyteddy Sat 24-Oct-15 16:28:03

Had baby no.2 on Monday by ELCS. Got out of hospital on Tuesday and have been ebf.

The midwife came and weighed him and he's lost 12.5%. This has really worried me and happened with with dc1. I ended up having to top her up with ff.

I'm feeding when ever he wants it and he has had wet and soiled nappies regularly.

I was hoping he'd not lost more than 10% and I keep worrying that there might be something wrong.

cattlepr0d Sat 24-Oct-15 17:24:37

Mine lost that much too (vaginal birth but EBF). After 10 days she had still not put on much but she'd made a nice gain after 14 days and was back at birth weight by 21 days.

The midwife said to me that some are just slow burners and take a little while longer to get going.

She's now nearly 10 weeks and is consistently tracking the 50th centile for height and weight. I haven't topped up with formula.

The advice I was given at the time was wake her for feeds if she isn't feeding every 2 hours. That was easier said than done, if I could wake her she wouldn't necessarily feed. Also try to get him to feed off one breast for as long as possible to make sure he gets hind milk which has more calories.

It was a stressful time but there was nothing wrong. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

tattyteddy Sat 24-Oct-15 19:55:03

Thanks cattle, I'll make sure I'm feeding regularly. Much appreciate you taking the time to post about your experiences.

poocatcherchampion Sat 24-Oct-15 19:59:14

I think you should be feeding every 2 hours perhaps a little less overnight.

It is a bit self perpetuating ime as they need milk for energy so get more sleepy instead of more hungry if you don't feed them enough.

Has anyone offered support with latch and position and checked for tongue tie?

When are they reweighing?

I'm in a smiliar position with dc3 - lost 10% and we are being reweighed tomorrow. I'm hopeful the above will have helped.

tattyteddy Sat 24-Oct-15 22:38:36

Thanks poocatcher, I've got someone from le Leche league out tomorrow morning and hopefully they can check latch etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now