Expressed milk on the move

(2 Posts)
mumtolittledot Fri 23-Oct-15 11:16:35

Hi folks,

I have a 7 week old baby and a seemingly healthy supply of milk and at the moment I pump twice a day - one boob in the morning (whichever one my LO hasn't fed on first thing) and 2 boobs at night (when my husband feeds her with expressed milk in bottles at 7.30 and 10pm to give me a break). Typically I collect around 375-400 ml a day but LO only drinks 300 at night which leaves me with a nice surplus which Id like to use to give her when Im out and about (because getting the boobs out as it gets colder isnt always fun!!). What I wondered is does it matter if Im giving this additional milk at a different time to when Im expressing from a supply perspective? (At night Im deliberately pumping as she feeds, but obviously the other bottle is coming from a morning pump and I might give it any time in the day). Might my overall supply suffer as a result? Id like to exclusively BF for another couple of months before I think about combination feeding and being able to do a bottle whilst on the go will definitely help!

Thanks for any advice!

Viv

Paden Fri 23-Oct-15 11:38:20

Hi Viv

What you are doing sounds fine . The supply of your milk is based on demand and as your are expressing at different times of the day your milk production will continue . It would be different if you were using formula . It sounds as if you have plenty of milk
Anyway so it should be fine to continue for another couple of months . If you are in doubt speak to your Health visitor .

Congratulations for maintaining breast feeding this long!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now