Talk

Advanced search

15 week old suddenly feeding a lot through the night!!

(13 Posts)
Tagz269 Fri 23-Oct-15 08:32:43

Can someone please tell me this is a phase?!
My 15 wk dd2 is ebf and up till now she has cluster fed a lot in the evenings which meant she usually slept from 11/11.30-7 ish which was lovely but meant that I had no evening as she was constantly attached to me! However, she has started to feed in a more normal away in the evenings and is now waking 2-3 times in the night!! 2 nights ago she went to bed at 11 woke up at 1 then 3 then 5!!! What the hell!!!! I'm hoping it's a growth spurt and she will go back to normal as it feels like I have a newborn all over again! Saying that actually she was never that bad when born!!
One thing I have thought about is that she only feeds from one boob at night as she is so sleepy and tends to feed for about 20mins off that one boob so should I also try and offer her the other one?! That way she will get more and sleep longer..... She prob won't and prob won't take it as she's completely asleep!
Please help as I am SOOOO tired and have a demanding toddler to also look after- not fun!!! confused
Thanks

SparklyTinselTits Fri 23-Oct-15 08:40:09

I would hazard a guess at a growth spurt or developmental milestone smile My DD did the same thing at around this age, and it passed just as quickly as it started!
Give your toddler some reeeeaaallly interesting toys and have a brew caffeine helps grin

imwithspud Fri 23-Oct-15 08:47:28

It's really very normal, possibly related to a growth spurt or developmental leap. My dd2 is almost 5 months, and can be very hit and miss through the night, she has slept all the way through a handful of times but just when I think we've turned a corner she will wake once or twice. I think some of it is because she's getting disturbed by us through the night, hopefully when we move her in with dd1 she will sleep a little better. I have a toddler too so I know the struggle, it's hard. But I'm sure it does get easier.

daluze Fri 23-Oct-15 10:15:30

Some people call it "4 months sleep regression" (you can google). It is quite common for babies to start waking up at night even if they slept through before. Likely related to fast neurological development. Not much you can do about it, but also it is not caused by anything you've done. The baby is learning so much everyday and undergo fast brain development, and that's the way their body's respond.

Annarose2014 Fri 23-Oct-15 10:18:39

Download the wonder weeks app. It tells you all tne growth spurts. At least you have a reason for it.

I remember this one being hard for me, as you're at the stage where you really really need things to be improving. It seems very unfair at the time.

Tagz269 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:33:14

Thanks for your advice. I've just been reading up on this "regression" which a friend of mine is also going through. Is it much worse when you are b'feeding? As I don't remember my first going through this at all!! She was bottle fed.
Dd2 woke at 1/3/5 and 7!!! I'm a crumbled mess .....
Also I'm worried about drinking too much caffeine because she may also "drink it" but desperate times call for desperate measures!! confused

Annarose2014 Sat 24-Oct-15 10:21:38

I think for the first year BF babies are generally worse sleepers. After that it evens out.

Dixiechick17 Sun 25-Oct-15 07:09:32

Sorry, but a friend of mine formula feeds and her baby is the same and Wakes often, these leaps and growth spurts are harsh, ours are 21 weeks and this has been going on for a fair few weeks now. As everyone keeps telling me "this too shall pass"...

Every baby is different, another friend who's baby is a week younger than mine is ebf and her baby isn't experiencing the sleep regression and still sleeps amazingly.

imwithspud Sun 25-Oct-15 07:25:04

I agree feeding method has little to do with and more to do with the individual baby.

Tagz269 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:46:08

Well she went from 9.30-6.15 last night! Was lovely!! Not betting on that tonight though ...

Hillijx Wed 28-Oct-15 10:47:34

6.5 months and still not through this phase....she went through 11-7 for about 3 weeks then at 4 months she became a newborn again and that's it!! I have read that barely any caffeine gets through to milk and may only effect a newborn and not older babies so go and have a coffee!! My first 2 didn't go through this so was a shock to me as well!

Nottalotta Thu 29-Oct-15 05:27:23

DS is 14weeks and had generally been waking once a night. The last few nights he has fed what seems like constantly. We co sleep so its easier, he roots about and i just latch him on. It still means waking though and yes, I'm kbackered!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 29-Oct-15 05:52:38

My 16 week old is up every 45 mins at the moment (previously every 3 hours, we've never had as good nights as you had!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now