Talk

Advanced search

Bottle feeding 7 week old

(6 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Thu 03-Sep-15 08:53:45

Ds is 7 weeks old tomorrow. He's drinking 5oz every 3 hours but goes longer at night. He was born 7lb 14 on the 50th but his weight is between the 75th and 91st centiles as of yesterday. He is very miserable in the day as will only nap 45 mins - he is draining his bottles and I think he might still be a bit hungry and this is why he wakes but HV said in not to up his feeds yet as he's getting big. What do I do? I'm cautious of hungry baby formula but I don't want ds to be overweight.

dementedpixie Thu 03-Sep-15 09:52:56

How much is he taking in each bottle? Hungry milk has the same calories as first milk but is harder to digest so I wouldn't give it just yet. He could be having a growth spurt and is extra hungry so I would add an extra ounce to each bottle and see if that satisfies him more. You might find that after a few days he drops back down again with the amount he is taking.

dementedpixie Thu 03-Sep-15 09:53:49

Sorry just reread and he is taking 5oz. I would try him with 6oz and see how he gets on

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 03-Sep-15 09:56:50

I bf'd, but pixie's suggestion seems sensible. smile

slightlyconfused85 Thu 03-Sep-15 12:31:45

Thanks. Everyone looks at me in horror when I suggest a 7 week old might have 6oz..I don't know what else I can do though as he's grumpy! Will give it a go

slightlyconfused85 Thu 03-Sep-15 12:55:19

Well I offered him 6, he drank 5 and a half then stopped, played half an hour, yawned twice so I popped him in his cot awake and he drifted off into a happy sleep all by himself...must learn to listen to my baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now