Talk

Advanced search

10.5 month old refusing bottles

(5 Posts)
NewMumSept2014 Sun 16-Aug-15 21:05:54

Hi,
Just wanted a bit of advice. My DD is 10.5mo, was EBF to 5m and since then FF. Usually loves her milk but since starting nursery 2-3 weeks ago has had cold after cold after cold plus we discovered last week, a urinary tract infection too and is on antibiotics. (So fairly stressful few weeks for her). sad

She usually gets 5-6oz 4 times a day, but from she started nursery shes been refusing bottles. Today she took about 4oz first thing, 1oz before am nap, 3oz before pm nap, (and 4oz after as I was worried she hadn't drank enough) then has refused bedtime bottle completely.
I wouldn't worry too much except she's still not great with a cup- if I give it to her to use she shakes it and tips it all over the floor and if I hold it she will only take a few sips in a day.
She was very unwell last week with her urinary infection- we had to take her to A+E as she was so dehydrated, but she seems to be well on the mend now and plenty of wet nappies.

Any advice on what I should be doing? I'm assuming this is fairly normal at this age as she's mean't to be off formula at 1yo anyway? What have others done? Do I try cows milk even tho guidelines say not til 1, or try and persevere with FF? Also, What type of cup do you advise? Have tried free flow Boots one, and various tommee tippee ones (first cup and explora first sips cup with and without valve in and 12m+ active sports cup), and no luck.
Thanks in advance!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Aug-15 07:48:29

Is she having bottles after food? If so, I think that's the issue. She'll be filling up on food and not the formula. I wouldn't advise switching to cows milk yet, at the moment she needs the nutrition from the formula, also her kidneys are too immature to handle the salt in cows milk yet.

Could you try offering her milk roughly an hour before she eats?

dementedpixie Mon 17-Aug-15 08:14:12

at that age my 2 had dropped to 2 milk feeds per day . One first thing and the other at bedtime.

NewMumSept2014 Mon 17-Aug-15 08:25:16

Thanks for the replies. I might have to think about getting her down to 2 feeds. Presumably then she might be thirsty during the day and learn how to use a cup quicker.
She gets milk around 1.5 to 2 hours after food- that hasn't changed recently so don't think timing is the issue as she used to drink as much milk as I would give her.

rahlikeatiger Mon 17-Aug-15 09:16:42

You could try the Momma cups? We found the straw ones great for the transition stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now