Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mixed Feeding - what do you think?

(10 Posts)
MissTwister Sun 16-Aug-15 17:40:11

I've had a number of problems BF outside the house due to large breasts/ positioning. I've really tried and even paid for a lactation consultant to try and help but to no avail. Without a pillow and both hands I am lost. Therefore I might try and use formula on these occasions so I can get out and about.

What are others experiences of mixed feeding, pros and cons.

Also How much do you give in a bottle for a 6 week old?

Thanks!

rachyconks Sun 16-Aug-15 17:43:13

The amounts are on the side of the formula box.

Pros: it will help you get out and about.

Cons: both my children preferred bottles once introduced

Would pumping be an option? Don't forgot as baby gets bigger you will find the feeding issues become easier and you won't need to spend ages positioning and using both hands. (Another big boobed here!)

HelenF35 Sun 16-Aug-15 17:44:36

I express and use that when I'm out. I put 100-120mls in a bottle for my 6 week old. Kellymom had a good calculator to work out how much you should put in a bottle based on your number of feeds per day.

Rivercam Sun 16-Aug-15 17:44:40

I did alternate breast and bottle with my two sons. Worked well for me.

horsewalksintoabar Sun 16-Aug-15 18:01:42

I think you just have to choose your battles and nurse where you are comfortable. Breastfeeding is such a hot topic. Don't let that put pressure on you as a mum. I've been stared at for breastfeeding in public. I've been stared by breastfeeding extremists for giving my infant formula. I could never win. I've been mother to a baby I breastfed for nearly a year and a half. Baby number two was practically formula fed from 6 weeks. My milk supply was dreadful. Number three was mixed from 6 weeks and came off breast at 7 months. Swings and roundabouts! I was never comfortable nursing in public apart from places like my church where I could find a quiet, private place. I nursed on park benches (using blankets to cover me and baby) or cafes with like 2 other customers. There is a green near me where the boobs are out from dawn til dusk...loads of nursing mums there, so I felt very comfortable there. But I was never going to be that mum walking around Sainsbury's nursing as I shopped. I am too shy and I find it uncomfortable. That's just me. Accept your comfort level and be at peace with how you wish to nurture and nourish your baby.

I pumped and gave my babies a bottle of either my milk or formula when out and about. That worked best for me. Also, little and often worked well I found. Mine were always on the collicky side, so I would offer 50mls at a time when they were just weeks old and keep feeding more if they were very hungry. I always fed on demand. Again, that worked for me. It's not for everyone. Good luck.

MissTwister Sun 16-Aug-15 18:36:32

I have tried expressing. First few times I got 4oz but last two times no more than 1oz - not sure what has happened there?

Milkyway1304 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:54:34

If it's only occasional you may get sore/engorged at missing a feed. I'm the early days I needed a pillow and 2 hands also. I would throw a cushion under the buggy/use a blanket folded over a few times. I also used to wear feeding tops, which allowed me feel relatively covered, and I practiced a few times at mum/baby groups before a cafe.

Using formula occasionally won't do any harm either if that's what you prefer- my DD refused all bottles aged 3 weeks and never accepted one so definitely try the bottle at home first!

Milkyway1304 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:55:32

Re expressing- were you trying different times of the day? First thing in the morning normally gives the greatest yield.

NickyEds Sun 16-Aug-15 20:39:54

I mix fed ds and the only down side I found was that I would get uncomfortable if I missed more than one feed. With ds we introduced f early (only 11 days) as he was losing weight but I liked mix feeding, in part because I didn't like feeding in public. I'm currently bf dd (4 weeks) and want to mix feed. I'm totally happy to bf in public this time around but I think I might need to feed her quickly sometimes as I'll have ds with me and I think I'll struggle with half hour feeds and a toddler whilst out and about- I always found bottle feeding to be much quicker with ds. I'm planning to wait until 8 weeks ish (or until I go stir crazy at home!) and keep it to occasional bottle feeds to protect my supply and avoid that over full feeling.

nottheOP Sun 16-Aug-15 20:48:26

Try to pick one feed to replace, it effects your supply in a better way. So say you'll bf until 11 am, the next feed is a bottle which should keep them going for 2/3 hours then bf for the next feed after 2pm or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now