Talk

Advanced search

Don't offer, don't refuse..

(3 Posts)
Milkyway1304 Sat 15-Aug-15 23:40:43

I've been half-heartedly looking at weaning methods as I can foresee massive difficulties in weaning my 15 month old down the line. I keep coming accross the "don't offer, don't refuse" method and am wondering how that works? I haven't offered my DD a feed since she was a few months old and if she had her way she would still feed every hour or two during the day and a few times at night. I assume some level of "don't offer, distract" is required if it's actually to be a weaning method? (I'm aware that not all toddlers are the same, but mine has little interest in food, and absolutely loves to breastfeed).

fourtothedozen Sun 16-Aug-15 08:04:58

I think you will struggle with technique alone with such a young child.

It certainly is a good tool with a child near to natural weaning age, but at 15 months is unlikely to work. If you want your toddler to stop breastfeeding then you may need more assertive techniques.

Milkyway1304 Sun 16-Aug-15 09:44:48

Thanks 4, that makes sense. I'm not really looking for her to stop now, more just cut back a bit (her appetite for solids is dreadful), which got me to wondering how that would ever work. I'm failing miserably at night weaning so don't think I could cope with weaning altogether right now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now