Talk

Advanced search

Mixed feeding

(3 Posts)
MusicMum18 Sat 15-Aug-15 18:35:14

Hi,
Please help I need advice! I am currently, after a really hard time getting feeding established, mixed feeding.
However, I use nipple shields, these are the only way I can get my 4 month old daughter to latch on, I started bottle feeding in the first 2 weeks as she lost too much weight, and she got too used to it. The basic routine is to feed with shields, then top up with expressed (morning) and then with formula later on. The amounts of top ups vary. I've tried weaning off the shields but it's impossible, she never latches on me without the shields, I've tried everything. I'm not sure if the shields are reducing my supply, when I express after, quite a bit of milk is left, maybe an ounce or two per boob. So I try to have express binges every week or two to try to maintain supply.

When I top up I've been using tomee tippee teats and I'm still using the 0-3 month ones. She feeds fine with these, it just takes a while. Other than the first couple of weeks, her weight is steadily gaining, and she seems fine with me doing what I'm doing so I'm reluctant to change.

My husband however, is keen to move her to the medium flow bottle teats, for 3-6 month olds. My concern is though that if the milk comes far easier for her with the medium teats she will go off feeding from me, as she has to work so much harder using the nipple shields and might give up. If she can get milk easier and quicker from a bottle why take from me? I want to keep breast feeding as long as I can, does anyone have any tips or advice on what I should do?

Thanks so much, I'm finding feeding so hard! But enjoyable!
Xxx

horsewalksintoabar Sat 15-Aug-15 18:45:32

Poor you... here's what you need to do. Con your local breastfeeding support group. Either Google them or your HV will know when and where the nearest clinic is run. I've mixed with my two youngest and found my breastfeeding clinic so helpful.I got fantastic advice and actually increased my own milk supply, which was great. Nuk bottles offer 0-6 month teets for bottles and dummies. I have used Nuk with all 3 of my kids. Fantastic bottles. You can get them on Amazon.

horsewalksintoabar Sat 15-Aug-15 18:46:21

Con? Ha ha! I meant conTACT. Sorry OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now