Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and college one day a week - how often should I express?

(5 Posts)
Splandy Sat 15-Aug-15 12:58:20

I'm due to give birth in ten weeks but feeling quite worried about my feeding routine. I only managed to breastfeed for about two weeks with my first - I suffered an eclamptic seizure whilst feeding for the first time and was hospitalised while my baby was sent to the neonatal unit with a suspected infection. I couldn't feed or express at all, then was told to express every three hours once I was allowed to move about. I did this and took it to the hospital but was eventually banned from waking at night to feed/express as my blood pressure was getting dangerously high from lack of rest. When he came home I just didn't have enough milk, though never had any problems with latching on. Was told I would have to give formula feeds and that was the end for my milk production. To be honest, all memories of that time are a haze, it took quite a while for my head to get back to normal and I feel very inexperienced. Midwife isn't particularly forthcoming with advice and seems to think that I already know what I'm doing from last time!

After that shambles I feel quite worried about how best to work things for this baby. Midwife has advised that I don't go to college for eight weeks. She said I can do something like feeding before I go, expressing at college and then feeding when I get home. When should I express to provide the milk he'll need whilst I'm at college? Will it ruin my supply if I don't express every day? I would quite like to express milk so that my husband can do some feeds. How do people usually work this? When should I start introducing a bottle? I don't want to leave it too late and end up with feeding problems when I'm not there with my breasts as a backup!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 16-Aug-15 08:54:50

Gosh, what a terrible time you had last time. I hope they are keeping a really close eye on you this time smile.

I'm not trained and it sounds like you need our tiktok really but I'll try to help.

Firstly, how long were you planning to stay off college for? In the first 6 weeks it's pretty normal for a baby to feed 12 times in 24 hours. Their tummies are tiny and they need little and often. After DC1 it sounds like you could do with a babymoon this time too. Think you'll need as much rest as you can possibly get.

Is your DH taking any leave? Have you got someone who can come and stay who will take care of DC1 and feed you?

Unfortunately, MWs aren't always the best to advise on bfing, but I think she's spot on about you needing a break from college. Is there a Bfing group you can go to? You don't have to wait until LO arrives, it's fine to go now and have a chat with them about your concerns. smile

If baby won't take a bottle, there are alternative methods of feeding. Will try to do a link later smile

BeautifulBatman Sun 16-Aug-15 09:03:18

An old colleague of mine continued to express after a short spell of maternity leave. She came back full time, mon-fri. She expressed maybe 3 times a day? Worked very well for her.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 16-Aug-15 09:07:44

Was right to split my posts up, MN has just logged me out again!

Anyway, here's the link for alternative methods of feeding.

Details of la lechwe league here. They may run groups and offer support locally, if not there should be other Bfing Support Groups and there is always the helplines smile

There is sone good info on how Dads can help here and can you do things to make life easier once the baby arrives now? If you have a freezer, can you put meals in for once the baby arrives? If finances allow, could you get a cleaner, a milkman helped me loads and so did doing online shopping. Sainsbos currently have lots of slots at £1 delivery or you could by a pass.

Sorry to overwhelm you with links. Hope you get time to put your feet up, have a bit of a read and maybe talk to one of the Bfing Helplines today. You could always try to convince DH that the best way he can help is to make sure you have plenty of rest now smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 16-Aug-15 09:15:55

Sorry, in true MN style I haven't answered the question in your title blush.

In all honesty, I don't really know. Expressing never really worked out with DC1. With DC2 I bought a secondhand Ameda Lactaline, which I highly recommend. I'd also talk to a BFC about hand expressing, this maybe an easier way if you are away from baby all day.

I'd say expressing at least every 3 hours to keep up your supply, but like I said, I'm not trained. smile

There's one more link heresmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now