Talk

Advanced search

Drained both boobs and still hungry!

(10 Posts)
youlemming Sat 15-Aug-15 00:28:01

DD2 is 2 wks today and has been feeding 2 hrly all day, this last feed has been clustering since 7 and I think she has now drained both boobs as they feel empty and she fussing at them, starts to such then pulls away before trying again.

Have ebf until now but about to try formula as have never got the chance to express due to her frequently feeding.

Only lost 40g at 5 days and was 1oz about her 8lb2oz birth weight at 10 days, so she was getting enough and has just become very hungry.

Didn't want to bottle feed this early but it doesn't seem like I have much choice!

ouryve Sat 15-Aug-15 00:31:00

Let her fuss. She's wanting a better supply. If you let her work at that, as she is doing, that will come.

ouryve Sat 15-Aug-15 00:31:58

And that frequent feeding is perfectly normal for a newborn. They have tiny stomachs.

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 15-Aug-15 00:32:49

Can you keep swapping her onto the other side and keep going? This is the stage where her feeding is upping your supply. Your breasts constantly make milk so they can't be empty, but the flow will be slower hence the stop-starting that she's doing. Giving formula now might interfere with the supply and demand process that's currently happening.

pookamoo Sat 15-Aug-15 00:38:18

I agree with what the others have said. Keep going, you're right to avoid introducing a bottle at this stage if you want to keep ebf.

I think 6 weeks is the earliest they recommend for expressing.

Have a google of "wonderweeks" for the developmental spurts they have - I seem to remember 2 weeks is a particularly demanding time for cluster feeding. Don't forget the supply and demand thing - if she fusses and feeds/sucks, your body will get the message.

Congratulations on your new baby!

shiteforbrains Sat 15-Aug-15 00:38:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pookamoo Sat 15-Aug-15 00:38:50

Also, your milk producing hormones are highest in the night, which is why she is keeping on going at this time!

elephantoverthehill Sat 15-Aug-15 00:47:56

Remember to keep eating. What goes in is making the milk. The BF diet is the best one ever. Eat as much as you want and still don't put on weight. within reason Congratulations.

squizita Sun 16-Aug-15 11:40:53

I found drinking a pint of water and sitting in the warm made my flow fast again even when it was down to the 'making a bit for each suck' stage. A bf counsellor suggested it for pumping but it works for baby too.

HelenF35 Sun 16-Aug-15 12:07:56

Perfectly normal. Just go with what she wants, she's trying to increase your supply. There is also a growth spurt at 2 weeks that will make her more hungry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now