Talk

Advanced search

Finished feeding 2 year old DD

(9 Posts)
Helgathehairy Fri 14-Aug-15 20:58:53

We were down to one feed at night but stopped last night. She seems to have accepted it, she asked for it tonight but I just told her not right now and she went off to bed with DH happy.

Feel a bit sad though.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Aug-15 21:11:38

Ever likely you feel sad, it's been part of your relationship for the whole of her life.

Sounds like you are both ready to stop though and move on to new things smile

Helgathehairy Fri 14-Aug-15 21:21:27

On one hand I'm delighted she's not protesting too much. When I dropped the mid-day feed, there were screaming protests for a few day.

On the other hand I'm thinking she could have protested a little bit!

CanISayOfHerFace Fri 14-Aug-15 21:38:33

Aside from the night feed do you still feed when DD is upset/hurt/sick?

I'm feeding DS (18 months old) at night and in the morning but on my days off it's more often.

I hope your hormones are kind to you over the next few weeks!

What made you decide to stop? Wondering how I'll know when the time's right.

flowers and wine for you.

Helgathehairy Fri 14-Aug-15 21:43:58

canI she's pretty healthy and hasn't been sick in ages, I don't feed her when she's upset so this was the last feed left.

I kinda had it in my head to stop completely when she was two, then a few weeks ago I found out I was pregnant so I wanted a decent gap between finishing feeding her and starting with the new baby.

Unfortunately I'm having a miscarriage so those hormones are thrown into the mix as well!

SaulGood Fri 14-Aug-15 21:48:17

DS stopped when he was 3 and I didn't notice. I'd been feeling a bit fed up with bfing when I suddenly realised he hadn't had his bedtime feed for 4 nights in a row and neither of us had remembered. I felt surprisingly sad. Then a week later he was ill and went back to feeding for a couple of weeks! I really enjoyed those last few feeds. It felt like a fitting end to breast feeding as DS is my last baby.

It is emotional when it ends. It can feel very bittersweet. It's just the closing of a door and the moving on to the next bit. You will feel it again. It's like the stepping stones of their childhood. They move on unscathed, you feel a little raw for a while.

SaulGood Fri 14-Aug-15 21:49:02

X-post. I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. Take very good care of yourself.

Helgathehairy Fri 14-Aug-15 22:03:13

Thanks saul

CanISayOfHerFace Sat 15-Aug-15 16:09:45

Thanks for the info Helga.

So sorry about your miscarriage. Hope you're okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now