Talk

Advanced search

Can tongue tie grow?!

(4 Posts)
squizita Sun 09-Aug-15 13:16:50

My 10 month dd was checked for tt at birth. None found. She's always fed well (I volunteer at a bf mum and baby group so nct trained ladies have seen her feed every week) and though small grew steadily. Her weight slowed with weaning but I was assured this is normal and even the graph shows a slowing at that time.

Today she was "singing" at church wink grin and I noticed a small line under her tongue. Is that normal? I keep thinking of images like this: www.google.co.uk/search?q=tongue+tie&client=ms-android-hms-vf-gb&espv=1&prmd=iv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIyqqw1PubxwIVRrsUCh09PwC3&biw=360&bih=559#imgrc=0JvOLKCsZOvb8M%3A

I mean if she's fed painlessly and happily for 10 months, even if it was, does it need to be seen?
Her vocal development and solid eating are also normal.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Aug-15 08:53:34

Don't know if it can grow but it can easily be missed. Have you shown it to one of the BFCs.

AnxiousAggie Fri 14-Aug-15 09:57:39

I don't think they grow but i suppose they may become more noticeable as the tongue and mouth get bigger.

I think problematic tt is more about symptoms. So two children could have the same type of tie but one may have symptoms (low weight gain, struggling to feed, painful nipples etc) and the other may be unaffected. It doesn't need to be treated if there are no problems. Get it checked out by all means and keep an eye on speech development etc but you may never need to have it snipped.

squizita Fri 14-Aug-15 19:51:41

I've just realised EVERY ONE has a lingual frenulum. Duh. That's all it is- tongue tie is when it affects tongue movement etc.

That will teach me to Google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now