Talk

Advanced search

Painful breast - no lump

(6 Posts)
GentlyGentlyOhDear Sat 08-Aug-15 19:50:12

I'm ebf 4 week old ds and this afternoon my left breast has randomly become sore when I touch or knock it. The pain is inside the tissue all down the left side, but I don't seem to have any lumps or hardness and it isn't red or swollen.

I've done a couple of big feeds from this side and it feels really empty and deflated, but the tenderness/soreness is still there.

Is this likely to be mastitis or could it be something else?

AnathemaPratchett Sat 08-Aug-15 23:00:11

It could still be a blocked duct - so a precursor to mastitis - without palpable lumps, or swelling. Check your nipple for any white dots or blebs - if they are hard they can be flicked/squeezed out with very clean fingers.
Otherwise try feeding from the affected side from above your baby - so baby on the floor on their back, you on all fours straddling with the breast dangling. Sounds stupid but can really help clear any blockages where you can't feel a lump to massage smile

GentlyGentlyOhDear Sun 09-Aug-15 03:28:56

I've been massaging it and had a hot shower on it but I think I've made it even more sore!
I will try the feeding from above at the next feed thank you!

AnathemaPratchett Sun 09-Aug-15 09:23:36

Hope it's feeling better. Any sign of shivering or feeling unbelievably crap, then out of hours for some antibiotics sad I've been feeding for 4 years straight now and have only once not been able to clear a blockage before it turned to mastitis smile. And that included 6 months with a tongue tied dd1 who had an incredibly bad latch smile

GentlyGentlyOhDear Mon 10-Aug-15 13:41:02

Just updating this in case anyone else has the same issue - the pain and tenderness gradually subsided yesterday and I've woken up completely pain free today. I assume the pain was either due to a blocked duct that I managed to unplug, or it was some sort of muscular thing.
Thanks for the advice anathema

AnathemaPratchett Mon 10-Aug-15 19:28:29

Glad you're feeling better smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now