Talk

Advanced search

Worrying about bf

(18 Posts)
NickyEds Fri 07-Aug-15 21:16:18

Dd is three weeks old and I think bf is going ok but I can't seem to shake some nagging doubts. She feeds regularly but with no routine at all, sometimes going 2/2.5 hours, other times 30 minutes. Sometimes she feeds for 45mins-and hour, others 5 minutes. Her latch is good (again I think) and she's mostly settled after feeds. i have no pain now after initially sore nipples so that's good.
I worry though. We've given her some f on a few occasions (1oz maybe 4/5 times) when I just couldn't bf any more and I worry about my supply. When she's fussy i worry she's not getting enough and when she sleeps I worry that she's sleepy through hunger (this happened when ds was tiny but he was Tt and bf wasn't going well). My boobs sometimes feel empty and I worry that there's not enough milk there (there is milk when she pulls off it flows out) and when they get full I worry that it's a sign she's not taking enough.
She lost 2% on day 5 and regained her birth weight plus some at day 10. She's not due to be weighed for another week and a half and I'm thinking of taking her next week instead, just for some reassurance. Ds was mix fed (much more f than we've given dd) and it was a rocky start to bf so I'm not sure what "normal" bf is like. Does all this sound normal for a three week old?

ReluctantCamper Fri 07-Aug-15 21:38:22

I'm really just bumping this for you, as I am far from a BF expert. I mix fed DS2, after spectacularly failing to BF DS1, so like you, I had some confidence issues. I got him weighed, like, a lot . If this will help you, do it. All you can go by is weight gain and is your DD settled. It really sounds to me like it's going well.

Good luck.

CityDweller Fri 07-Aug-15 21:59:32

The best thing you can do if you're worried about supply is bf more/on demand. It's a supply-and-demand system...

They have frequent growth spurts at this age (and there's a big one around 2 or 3 weeks if I remember rightly) and they will anyway be more fussy and unsettled during these. The Kelly mom website has some great info on fussy feeding and growth spurts.

cosmicglittergirl Fri 07-Aug-15 22:02:12

Sounds exactly normal, sometimes they're on the boob what feels like all the time at that age. Try to feed on demand as much as you can, but mixed feeding works for some people. Agree with city about growth spurts and the kellymom website.

LizzieLou3 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:28:54

Sounds exactly right to me. X

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 08-Aug-15 20:30:09

It sounds completely normal to me, and like you're doing a great job!

callamia Sat 08-Aug-15 20:33:11

Sounds perfect. Good weight gain, no pain and feeding when she wants. Great stuff!

I know what it's like to feel anxious though. There will be times where she seems insatiable - growth spurts have nothing to do with how much milk you've got. Some women don't really get hugely engorged either - they still have ample milk. You're doing great.

NickyEds Sat 08-Aug-15 20:48:46

Thanks for your replies.I think I need to have a bit more faith that bf is working ok.It's silly but I take a bottle and f out with us even though we've never needed it so far- "just in case". I'm going to get her weighed I think, although she's filling out new born clothes well now and her Grandad said that she's noticably bigger!

callamia Sat 08-Aug-15 21:30:32

I was just the same. I ended up binning most of the bottles after they went past their use-by date.

Greenstone Sun 09-Aug-15 19:59:21

That weight gain is excellent for a breast fed baby. My first took 4 weeks to regain birth weight, second 3 weeks, and even then there was no real talk of top ups. It's really hard breast feeding with an older one though isn't it? So relentless. Dd2is 9 months now and everything is a million percent easier.

NickyEds Sun 09-Aug-15 20:04:28

We've not had a great day in terms or worry todaysad.Dd has been very fussy at the breast and suddenly crying loudly. She would normally wake up, have a look around and do some feeding cues before crying but today she's gone straight to hysterical crying.She's barely gone an hour without feeding and is still crying. My boobs feel completely empty.

Fluffy24 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:06:27

Sounds like you're doing a great job. Try not to worry, everything you describe sounds normal to me (including getting anxious about it all)! Speak to your HV about your concerns though, only so she will understand how you're feeling. I'd try to avoid extra weighings!!

Fluffy24 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:11:48

It's normal for them to feel empty, try not to worry. Sounds like a growth spurt maybe - settle down with TV remote, large quantity of chocolate and just keep feeding if that's what DD wants - it'll feel like she's permanently attached!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 09-Aug-15 20:13:51

Nicky my breasts never feel full. I know DD is getting plenty though as she is gaining weight, and I get loads of milk if I express. Honestly it really sounds like you're doing great. They have fussy periods, it won't last.
It's really hard work though so give yourself a break. You're doing a great job, especially with a 19 month old around too flowers

Frusso Sun 09-Aug-15 20:25:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NickyEds Sun 09-Aug-15 21:31:17

There is milk there Frusso, she's fussing at the start of feeds and when she comes off milk sprays into her little face. She feeds, comes away herself, I wind a burp up and she relaxes........for a short while then screams to be put back to the boob. I haven't tried expressing yet- there hasn't been time between the toddler and the feeds!

callamia Sun 09-Aug-15 21:39:45

It sounds like growth spurt time. Fussing, feeding, being stuck on the sofa - feeding lots means that you don't even get chance to get engorged, but there's still plenty of milk, and there'll be more because your daughter is stimulating your breasts - sending the message for more milk. It's a tough couple of days, but they'll get further apart as she gets older.

shoopshoopsong Sun 09-Aug-15 21:44:14

Sounds absolutely norms, in fact good, to me! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now