Talk

Advanced search

Constipation help

(16 Posts)
squizita Wed 05-Aug-15 10:11:12

10 month old. She's bf plus solids and some cow/formula. She has a cold and with the humid weather too has become v bunged.

She's never pooed every day except one bout of the runs.
However this time it was - Full poo last Thurs, nothing over whole weekend then tiny/hard pellet poos Mon, Tues and Today.

I've been giving weetabix, prunes, extra drinks (did nothing). Tummy massage etc.
GP suggested oiling her bum with vaseline but said no to lactulose prescription as she thought it was mild.
Pharmacist was aghast and said it sounded severe and sold me lactulose.

The problem is I get very anxious about weight gain and she's off her solids with the cold and constipation. sad
How long before the lactulose kicks in - in your experience?
And how do I get fibre and water in to push things through. She only wants boob/bottle atm.

hotfuzzra Wed 05-Aug-15 15:30:55

Hi Squiz I think you were on my Antenatal thread..
Sorry don't have advice re lactulose.
My 8mo is in and out of constipation, I've read that the 'P fruits' such as pear, plum, prunes help. I also BF plus weaning and I just found that the fruits plus soldiering on means that some days we get small hard pellets and other days we get much wetter ones. I'm hoping it's just a phase as she's learning to digest all these new things. Good luck

NotQuiteCockney Wed 05-Aug-15 18:29:15

The formula - how much does she have? And is it follow on milk? That can be v constipating. Might be worth switching to infant formula and seeing if it makes a difference.

squizita Wed 05-Aug-15 19:07:34

Thanks all. I've switched to "first milk" and am really pushing water with solids.
The lactulose "moistened" a whole bunch of tough pellet poos enough to come out.

Think I'll use it for 3 days as per advice then try just fruit, weetabix and water daily (with other food) to keep her regular.

Greenstone Thu 06-Aug-15 21:41:04

I'd give her Ready Brek or normal porridge instead of the Weetabix actually, just because I think the Weetabix can have a bit of a cement-like effect? Dried prunes work so fast IMO, maybe add them blended or chopped finely into all of your DD's meals if you're batch cooking.
Poor little thing, it's probably mostly the cold that's making her bunged up at the minute.

Brindler Thu 06-Aug-15 21:51:48

Ahh OP constipation in little ones is awful isn't it - my dd suffered from around the same age (is now 4). Was awful to see her struggling and in so much pain, she used to get so upset. The only thing that works for her is movicol but not sure if your dd is too young for it at the moment - I can't remember exactly when mine started on it but she was over 1 I think. So if it continues then push for that

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 06-Aug-15 21:52:20

Has she just moved on a stage with weaning, as that's when we had problems?

I was advised by a friend who was a HV to bring dried apricots to the boil in water and simmer for a while and then purée them. I am not sure if it was the apricots themselves or the water they contained, but we found this worked.

A friend swears by watered-down apple juice for a slightly younger child.

squizita Fri 07-Aug-15 09:10:55

Thanks again. Yep her quantity of food has recently taken a leap, I think she's getting used to it. Had a BIG poo (hard but outside softened by lactulose) Weds, nothing yesterday ... Some farts so far today!

She really likes porridge luckily! Prunes on their own don't touch her ... weird as I just need one or two and I'm heading for the loo!
I've got lots of dry apricots, she finds them a bit hard so I will stew them- thanks for the tip.

We're on holiday next week - in the uk though so if she needs another gp visit there will be a drop in nearby.
Hopefully we will see some soft poo today though.

DonkeyOaty Fri 07-Aug-15 09:24:11

Hi squiz

Another vote for taking weetabix out - they can dry out in transit. Counter intuitive but ime banana has a similar effect so avoid banana too. Ofc am talking as a parent, this is anecdotal only.

hullabaloo234 Fri 07-Aug-15 09:24:50

Hi OP, my DN used to have the same problem at that age-my sister gave him prunes and freshly squeezed OJ and it did the trick big time grin I know there is the sugar element with the OJ but he really didnt need much for it to work.

ldt87 Fri 07-Aug-15 09:30:10

My little boy is also 10 months and suffered terribly with constipation. He now has a mini pack of raisins a day and goes like clockwork. Hope you find something that helps soon. It's rotten for them and us

squizita Fri 07-Aug-15 09:51:17

I will try raisins! do you cut them like grapes or just give as is? Never given them before! smile

DonkeyOaty Fri 07-Aug-15 09:54:24

Give as is.

And a fist bump for a great holiday my dear.

squizita Sat 08-Aug-15 13:00:34

Now I just have to hope the remedies don't work too well when we're in our air-con-not-working focus on the m25. grin shock grin
She's 2 days without a poop but feels soft and comfortable with occasional parps, so long as it's comfy coming out!

squizita Sun 09-Aug-15 13:07:24

We've had poop (this makes 4 in a week which Boots Web MD the most cautious reliable source says is ok) and it was much softer than before.
Will keep using juice and lactulose then go to just juice before bed.
smile

hullabaloo234 Sun 09-Aug-15 14:18:19

Ahhh good, glad to hear she's been able to go smile fingers crossed she will stay regular now but at least you've lots of ideas to try if she had any difficulty going again in future

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now