Breastfeeding problems in 1 week old

(8 Posts)
LJH79 Wed 05-Aug-15 07:32:12

Have been breastfeeding reasonably ok for a week although nipples can be painful at times but then heal. Midwives all kept saying latch ok and it looks fine so not sure. Yesterday became quite stressful as ds was routing and wanting a feed but just would take the breast despite me trying different positions. He did eventually but was fussing a lot. Is there a reason he would start doing this after a week. How do you deal with the fussiness and getting him to take it? I do have a fast milk flow and plenty of supply so not sure if this is part of the problem. My dd had bad reflux and hoping ds is not starting to have issues and this is reason for fussiness. Any help would be appreciated.

ninetynineonehundred Wed 05-Aug-15 07:36:23

Could be wind. Is he burping?

LJH79 Wed 05-Aug-15 07:39:03

Have tried winding him but not very successful in getting it up. When he falls asleep after feed it is difficult to get him to burp. Any tips on this?

ninetynineonehundred Wed 05-Aug-15 07:59:47

You could lie him tummy down on your arm to pat.
I can sympathise. Neither of mine liked to give up the gas and they suffered horribly.
Your situation sounds very similar but hopefully other posters will have more suggestions in case it's something else

Good luck

MadAngryGnome Wed 05-Aug-15 08:13:56

If you have a fast let down you could try expressing a bit off once your let down starts, then once he's back latched on the flow might be easier for him.

Have you tried feeding lying down? When my DS is fussing often that's the only position he'll feed in, no idea why.

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Wed 05-Aug-15 08:21:27

Sometimes my little one gets so worked up he just screams at the nipple, then when he finally does latch on he suckles so furiously and tugs at the nipple he then splutters and coughs with the let down. I put on some white noise just before I latch him on and it helps him feed more calmly without getting worked up and fussy. Might work for you too?

Duggee Wed 05-Aug-15 08:54:49

It's sounds like he is being hatched on when he is too hungry/distressed. Can you try feeding him a bit sooner, signs to look for could be tongue protrusions, lip smacking, general restlessness.

LJH79 Wed 05-Aug-15 10:19:20

He isn't particularly distressed so don't think he's over hungry. He was feeding 1-2 hourly and seems to be going longer periods. I did try and fed him earlier yesterday but that was more difficult as he didn't want it. Will keep trying today and call breastfeeding counsellor if no better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now