Talk

Advanced search

8 month old still wanting milk through the night

(11 Posts)
RoobyTuesday Sun 02-Aug-15 10:32:39

Is this normal? My 8 month old has starting waking again two or three times in the night seemingly for milk as this is the only thing that settles him. Since weaning and eating more in the day he is really not interested in milk until bedtime when he takes a 9oz bottle. He then wakes up at least two more times for a feed now where as he was going up to six hours before weaning.
I offer milk in the day but he's not interested at all. He has water in a sippy cup at mealtimes and occasionally in between but if I try and substitute it for milk he won't take it.
I'm worried that if I stop giving him milk at night he really won't be getting anyway near the recommended pint per 24 hours.
Any advice would be gratefully received! Friends seem to raise their eyebrows and express horror when I tell them he's still feeding so much in the night.
He's bottle fed.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 02-Aug-15 10:34:11

Honestly I'd probably consider dropping a meal and giving milk instead. then reintroduce it a bit later on.

kaftanlady Sun 02-Aug-15 10:44:43

The most important question IMO is does
it work for you / your baby?

Forget about your friends judging. Babies are incredibly adaptable IMO. What's "normal" for babies in our culture will be completely different to healthy babies growing up in remote tribes for example or 100 years ago, or two doors down from you even!

I still breastfeed my toddler at night. It works for us. Not everyone would want to, but it works for us.

What works for you?

rachyconks Sun 02-Aug-15 10:54:07

Absolutely normal. Guidelines are that infants normally need night feeds until 1yo (though every child is different of course). My DD gave hers up at 18 months and DS takes a full bottle at bed then a half bottle through the night. He's 16 months.

RoobyTuesday Sun 02-Aug-15 18:07:39

Ah thank you all for your reassurance - hopefully it might be a growth spurt and he might stop feeding quite so much!

Redtowel Sun 02-Aug-15 18:10:22

Mine had a dream feed at 10 pm until 14 months, have you tried this? Then she went through til 7.

RoobyTuesday Sun 02-Aug-15 21:12:10

Hi red, yes we have always done a dream feed around 11pm, from about 16 weeks he would then go through until 5ish but has started waking up at 2am wanting a feed. He's a very big boy on the 91st centime so I guess he is really just needing the extra. I might try and cut out a meal during the day and see if that makes any difference.

RoobyTuesday Sun 02-Aug-15 21:12:44

*centile not centime!

savasana Sun 02-Aug-15 21:16:12

Normal I think, his rhythm will change again in a few weeks most likely. Could be getting more distracted during the day and making up for it at night.

Chips1999 Mon 03-Aug-15 10:47:34

DD is 8 months old and is still having a feed in the night. I'm hoping she stops needing it soon, I'm really getting tired out!

She generally has 100mls at 7.30am, 100mls at 11.00am, 180mls at 2.15pm and 100-180mls at 7.00pm. She is eating well for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

hotfuzzra Wed 05-Aug-15 17:11:15

We had a patch where my Dd drank quite poorly in the days then at night kept waking for milk. Eventually I had enough and we had one or two nights where I just soothed and rocked her, I told myself I wouldn't feed her between 12-4am. The next day I would only feed her in her bedroom in the calm and dark with no distractions. Since then apart from teething and illness she's slept much better.
May work, obviously it might not help at all, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now