Talk

Advanced search

Domperidone for low milk supply

(2 Posts)
sarah00001 Tue 28-Jul-15 14:22:19

Hi, has anyone taken Domperidone to boost their milk supply? I had a C-section 3 weeks ago and lost a lot of blood. I have since struggled to produce enough milk to feed my daughter. She was a big baby - 9 pounds 10 at birth, and a very hungry one too. I have tried alternative methods to boost my supply such as pumping and Fenugreek tablets but I only produce a maximum of 50 mls in total from both breasts.

A couple of midwives I spoke to suggested I take Domperidone as a last resort. I spoke to my GP and she was reluctant to prescribe it as it has links with cardiac failure. From what I understand though, this would only be a problem for someone who already has heart problems. Now I know that I don't have any heart problems, but how do I know for certain my baby doesn't?

At the moment, my baby's diet consists mainly of formula milk and I'd really like it to be breast milk due to the health benefits but I only want to take domperidone if it's safe.

If you've taken this drug to boost your milk supply, how did you find it? What dose did you take and how long did you take it for?

I've been prescribed 10mg 3 x per day but my GP has only given me a week's worth.

Many thanks, Sarah

mrsnec Tue 28-Jul-15 14:30:02

Hi op,

I was in a similar situation and gave up two weeks in so can't advise but I'm pg again and I'm interested to see what everyone else comes up with because I don't want to go through it again. I'm not in the UK and I did ask and they said they can't give me anything to help with supply. The tea didn't do anything.

I had transfusions too and was nil by mouth for 3 days after my emcs and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Dd was hypoglycemic too.

Interested to know how you get on. Good luck and congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now