Talk

Advanced search

Coffee when breastfeeding.

(9 Posts)
pennylane2015 Tue 28-Jul-15 08:56:12

Hi, wondering what people do as regards coffee intake while breastfeeding? I only drink about 2-3 instant coffees (but a nice one!) each day. I believe there is not as much caffeine in instant coffee. Do you believe it affects breastmilk? As my little guy has not been sleeping so well recently. I had put it down to a growth spurt, but I'm wondering now! I don't really eat chocolate or drink coke, just the daily coffee. Should I reconsider?!

squizita Tue 28-Jul-15 09:09:54

I drink coffee every day - hasn't affected dd at all.

Some people find it does though.

Maybe try a few days without and see if there's a clear difference? If not you're ok.

ThatsNotEvenAWord Tue 28-Jul-15 09:22:06

I switch to decaf after midday just in case it affects him but it probably wouldn't. Echoing the suggestion to try cutting it out to see if there's a difference

MagpieCursedTea Tue 28-Jul-15 09:36:03

Some babies tolerate it better than others, how old is your DS? If it's not been an issue before then it's probably fine. Sleep changes happen for all sorts of reasons, coffee is a way for parents to cope with that wink

ecosln Tue 28-Jul-15 11:11:29

Not sure I witnessed any effects but while my babies were ebf (6m)) most days I limited it to cup in the Morning and then only when I felt I need a boost, decaf rest of time. Once older I just was more relaxed and just monitored it but prob don't drink more than 3 caffeinated drinks on a normal day as it's become habit to go decaf but don't think it's bad if I occasionally have more.

Saw this <<http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/>>

avocadotoast Tue 28-Jul-15 11:40:21

I think it depends on the baby. I usually have a coffee (not instant - does that make a difference? Not sure) each morning and then either a tea or diet coke through the day.

I've only ever seen any potential ill effects in DD when she was just 3 weeks old and I had two strong coffees and a big coke in the same day. She stayed awake for 8 hours that night... I'm not sure if the two were connected but I've not done it since!

Christelle2207 Sun 02-Aug-15 10:46:55

Assuming your caffeine intake is not excessive I can't imagine it making much difference. When pg however I took a liking to the various decaf instants on the market and am hooked now- I tend to have caff first thing only because I feel that much better.

northernlassy1 Mon 03-Aug-15 19:03:54

I reluctantly gave up all caffeine when dc was about seven weeks (wasn't drinking much anyway) as was weirdly bad sleeper for such a small baby and it really helped. I've been on decaf ever since til this weekend when was away and he's now sleeping fine with about three cups of ordinary tea a day (now six months).

pennylane2015 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:12:15

Thanks for the replies! Have made the switch to decaf. Hoping to see an improvement in the sleep department!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now