Talk

Advanced search

Contraception while BFing

(15 Posts)
waitingfornumber2 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:54:32

Hi,

With my DD I was put on the progesterone only pill but didn't get on with it due to pretty much constant spotting.

My 2nd is due tomorrow and I don't know what other alternatives the are. I'd like to be forearmed when I speak to the doctor at my 6 week check.

Does anyone know what other contraception is ok to be on while breastfeeding? Thanks.

bakingtins Mon 27-Jul-15 18:59:43

Mirena or copper coil, barrier methods, mini pill, implant, injection.
It's oestrogen which may be a problem so rules out combined pill, patches and vaginal ring. You can consider these methods once baby is also on solids, they are not dangerous for baby but may affect milk supply.

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 27-Jul-15 18:59:53

I used the copper coil (had it Pre-DC as well). After childbirth, getting it in is only mildly uncomfortable and there are no hormones involved. Only downside I found was slightly heavier periods.

bakingtins Mon 27-Jul-15 19:06:09

Breastfeeding is fairly effective in itself for the first six months as long as you are exclusively breastfeeding, still doing night feeds and your period hasn't returned. The stats for women using lactational amenorrhea as the only method of contraception are that 1 in 200 will get pregnant in the first 6 months if the other conditions apply. It depends how you feel about another pregnancy whether you feel happy to rely on that to space out babies!

IssyStark Mon 27-Jul-15 19:07:37

We used the coil after ds1and condoms since ds2

waitingfornumber2 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:27:04

Thanks everyone. Coil sounds like a good option. Are periods generally regular on it or might I get spotting again?

With my first I ebf for 6 months until weaned and then by until 14 months. We'd stopped using contraception as I was hating the pill and we wanted a smallish age gap. I got pregnant the month after stopping so it was good contraception for me last time. However, we def don't want DC3 (at least not yet) so need something more reliable this time.

waitingfornumber2 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:29:28

Sorry, what's the difference between the copper and mirena coil?

dementedpixie Mon 27-Jul-15 19:37:56

copper coil has no hormones whereas the mirena does have hormones.

have you tried any other mini pills as there are different types with different active ingredients?

waitingfornumber2 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:46:57

Thanks Pixie. So copper might be better if the hormones cause the spotting?

No, the doctor seemed to imply that I would get it with any of the mini pills. Interesting if that isn't the case though. Tbh she didn't seem to really care once I said we were keen to have a 2nd child quite quickly.

At least now I know what options I can discuss with her and do some research beforehand. Thanks everyone.

SaulGood Mon 27-Jul-15 19:47:09

As one of the people who was breastfeeding exclusively, no dummies, no gaps bigger than two hours, no formula etc and still ovulated at 11 weeks postpartum, I'd advise that you're right to consider extra contraception.

I had a copper coil.

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 27-Jul-15 19:48:22

I never had spotting with the copper coil, but not sure about the mirena one.

dementedpixie Mon 27-Jul-15 19:56:03

The copper coil can cause heavier periods whereas is many cases the mirena can stop them (I don't have any bleeding with my mirena)

I had fortnightly periods with 2 mini pills I tried whereas the 3rd one (cerazette) stopped them. They are not all the same so may have better/worse side effects

waitingfornumber2 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:08:19

Wow Saul! That is my worry too for this time.

My periods have always been light so will look into the issues with each and see what might suit me better.

Think I'd prefer not to be on a pill. I can't remember exactly which one I was on while bfing but it was in a mauve pack. Before that I was on Microgynon and had no issues so maybe I was just unlucky with the brand.

bakingtins Mon 27-Jul-15 20:19:34

If you don't get on with mini pills I'd be a bit cautious of any progesterone based contraception. They will tell you that Mirena is smaller dose of hormone, locally administered. I'm still having all the crap side effects I had on minipill (loss of libido, low mood) and 7 months in still having random spotting. You might be better to try a different mini-pill, at least you can stop taking it if it disagrees with you. I'm currently weeks into trying to get my Mirena removed, only certain doctors can do it and they are on holiday/have no appointments/only work on days beginning with a z......
I got on ok with microgynon too, and I took it when BF DS2 without issues, but only once he was on solids too.

waitingfornumber2 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:23:01

Thanks Baking. That's really helpful.

Good luck with getting it removed...sounds pretty frustrating for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now