Talk

Advanced search

sore and bleeding nipples - desperate

(11 Posts)
Racheyg Mon 27-Jul-15 16:21:00

Hi all,

My Ds2 is 8 weeks and feeds well. since I brought a new breast pump (ameda) my nipples are very sore and bleeding esp the left. I brought larger flanges but that was worse, do I need to go down a size?

I dont think its his latch as its only just started since the new breast pump. but any advice would be greatly received x

callamia Mon 27-Jul-15 16:31:08

Do you hand express? I think it's a good idea to let your nipples heal by stopping the pump for now, and hand expressing as you need to - they should only take a few days to heal if feeding isn't a problem.

I'm not sure why your nipples don't get on with your pump - I guess it's difficult to know without seeing your nipples and the way that the pump takes them in. I can only guess that they are being pumped at an odd angle? Does it hurt while you do it?

tiktok Mon 27-Jul-15 16:37:08

Pumps should not damage nipples. Can you call the consumer helpline number which should be on the package of the pump? Ask them about size and the strength of the suction - maybe you have got it on too high or the flanges were not centred sufficiently well....either way, call them and tell them about it.

Racheyg Mon 27-Jul-15 16:57:05

Thanks for the quick replies. I only pump twice a day at about 3.00 am and 6am while ds asleep as I get very full. I can relieve them with my hands for a few days while they heal.

I never thought of calling them, that's a great idea. When using the pump quite a large amount of nipple gets pulled through to the areola. The sore bleeding part is at the base of the nipple and the top near where the areola. X

StickyProblem Mon 27-Jul-15 16:59:05

I remember those days, mine were like blackcurrant fruit pastilles sad My community midwife told me to use Bepanthen to heal them. Also she said if the baby swallows some blood (sorry!) when feeding it won't do any harm, which put my mind at rest.

Racheyg Mon 27-Jul-15 22:04:27

Sticky, how long did it take to heal? I'm dreading feeding they are that sore sad
I'm also worried about my supply as ds2 doesn't wake for a feed for about 5/6 hrs

Racheyg Tue 28-Jul-15 06:36:47

Meant to add he goes 5/6hrs during the night. During the day he feeds every 1hr/1.5hrs.

I didn't pump last night and got plenty of air to my nipples, so I'm hoping they are on the road to recovery.

HelenF35 Tue 28-Jul-15 07:08:42

Sounds like you might have it on too high a setting. Can you turn the suction down? There are videos on how to select the correct size flanges on YouTube if that helps also?

Diamondsandpears Tue 28-Jul-15 08:12:35

Agree that suction could be too high. I bruised my already cracked, stripped and scabby nipples (caused by an undiagnosed tongue tie) by doing so. Very painful. The Breastfeeding Network helpline were really supportive. Be aware of breastfeeding thrush if you are not healing in a couple if days.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 28-Jul-15 08:21:48

Are you using Lansinoh nipple cream - bloody amazing stuff

Racheyg Tue 28-Jul-15 08:55:58

helen, i didnt think about the setting, as this is my first electric. I will also go on youtube.

diamons, thanks, how will i look out for thrush? i never had any nipple probs with ds1 so this is all new to me.

someday, yes lansinoh is my best friend at the moment smile

I am going to wait until nipples have healed before i face the pump again, but i am very keen on pumping still as ds2 loves his milk and I get oh to feed a bottle every now and then while i get on with other tasks of life (ironing ect)
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now