Talk

Advanced search

Is this a mad idea?

(9 Posts)
CherryBonBon Sat 25-Jul-15 21:44:26

DS (1 in two weeks) still breastfeeds. He would feed loads if I let him but I keep to 3-4 feeds a day (only 1 proper feed to sleep, the rest are snacks).

I have to take DD on a trip in just over a week for 2 days and have the option of leaving DS at home with DP.

If I drop another feed between now and then could I possibly expect him to be semi weaned when I get back?

We're co-sleeping but have his room ready now and we could use the first day I'm back as his first night in his cot?

Is this cruel?

For context he is eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. He doesn't have any milk apart from mine but he does drink a lot of water. He doesn't like follow on milk. Should I offer him cows milk?

I fed DD for two years till she weaned herself and I don't want to do that again. I'm ready to stop.

Any tips on whether or not this is feasible/advisable?

CherryBonBon Sat 25-Jul-15 22:06:40

Hopeful bump.

Brindler Sat 25-Jul-15 22:16:41

My dd was also a bf monster at that age. I ended up having to stay in hospital unexpectedly for a couple of nights but she just picked up where she left off as soon as I came out! Sorry that's probably not what you want to hear but all children are so different that there's every chance it could work for you!!

Have you left him at all before? Will he take a bottle?

Postchildrenpregranny Sat 25-Jul-15 22:20:00

DD1 would never take a bottle(even expressed). I sealed up all but two of the holes in a feeder cup (so it didn't flow too quickly and choke her)and she would have water or cows milk from that

CherryBonBon Sat 25-Jul-15 22:20:44

Thanks Brindler thanks .

He won't take a bottle and he's rubbish with any sort of cup even the free flow ones. He doesn't seem to be able to get the hang of sucking anything that isnt a nipple!

I left him this week from 6am to 5pm as I had to go to London with DD and he was absolutely great for DP. He didn't freak out and didn't cry for me. That's what gave me the idea that he might be ok without boob.

If I did take this approach I'd have to be super hardcore when I got back (and wear polo necks tucked into my jeans). I'm an instinctive (read, lazy) parent who always goes with the path of least resistance so this would be hard for me. I'm so keen to stop that I reckon I can do it though. I'm not concerned about sore boobs etc. Willing to put up with that for the end result.

Brindler Sat 25-Jul-15 22:29:35

Oh cherry you could have been me 3 years ago!! Dd (now4) also refused every form of bottle (and believe me I tried them all!), dummies, anything other than me! But she would be fine from 7.30 til 6 when I was at work twice a week!!! Very frustrating!

Like you did with your dd I had to let her self wean which took aaaaages because I just couldn't deal with the tears and tantrums if I refused!

I'm now pg with dc2 and hoping I don't get another boob monster!! Don't think I could go through it again!

Good luck though and let us know how you get on x

CherryBonBon Sun 26-Jul-15 09:20:39

Wee bump for the morning folk smile .

CherryBonBon Sun 26-Jul-15 18:46:31

Last bump sad

squizita Tue 28-Jul-15 09:17:38

He will be old enough for cow milk.

My dd is a boob fan and only sleeps after a bf and mummy cuddle ... or so I thought until I left her with dh for a trial week of work.
Came home typically to 12-14 oz formula/expressed milk drunk and 2 naps had on the play mat with a little blanket. DD grinning away playing happily with dh - clearly fine.
As soon as I'm there though it's boob and cuddles only.

So often they seem to understand that dad is like mum but with no milk and are emotionally cool with that.
After all its their own dad! They need time to bond and with bf babies that can be tricky till they go longer between feeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now