Talk

Advanced search

Too much or not enough milk?

(5 Posts)
LittleMiss77 Sat 25-Jul-15 13:47:11

Hi everyone... hoping someone can advise...

Im a FTM to a 10 day old who is fed expressed breastmilk (he doesnt want to know when it comes to getting his food from source! smile ) and a few FFs also

He feeds approx 8 - 10 times a day, around every 3 hours.

On a FF, I give about 90ml (3oz) with BM i can express about 60ml (2 oz-ish) at a time.

Sometimes when i give BM, DS is screaming an hour later, rooting, chewing his fingers... so assuming he is still hungry, i offer more BM. He'll happily guzzle down another 60ml and then up to 60ml more an hour after that sometimes.

Im worried re: the amounts he is taking - is it too much? is it not enough? Is he not getting everything he needs from my BM - hence the screaming for more?

He appears to be a lot more content with FF, and rarely spits up. If he doesnt want any more, he'll stop opening his mouth, stop sucking, turn his head away when offered the bottle.

Someone suggested that hes screaming because he has wind/colic, but he does burp regularly and has done some amazing farts that give his dads a run for their money grin
Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome - im at my wits end with worry that im doing something wrong

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Jul-15 19:20:33

Bm is digested far quicker than ff so could it just be that? It is impossible to give a baby too much by btw smile

Have you called one of the Bfing Helplines and talked through your concerns with a BFC?

LittleMiss77 Sat 25-Jul-15 20:42:37

ive spoken to my local group who just said to keep up what im doing, but i might stop by one of their drop in centres in the week for some more guidance.

i know people say that you cant overfeed a baby on BM but given that im doing both BM & FF, surely its a possibility? its v.rare that he doesnt finish a bottle....

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 08:39:26

Might be worth ringing one of the Bfing Helplines then. Have you got the numbers?

LittleMiss77 Sun 26-Jul-15 10:11:28

yes, i do - theres a few listed at the front of my postnatal notes. I'll drop them a line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now