Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about milk protein intolerance and my 2 week old please

(8 Posts)
Mamamia321 Sat 25-Jul-15 07:05:13

i came into hospital three nights ago following an emergency referral from dr. Baby had been displaying colic like symptoms since Friday and mw had dismissed distended stomach as fine. On Wednesday she threw up three times, one with green blob, and her stomach swelled till skin shiny as well as having temp.
In a and e they gave her an Iv for antibiotics, naso gastric tube to release air, lumbar puncture to test for meningitis and tests on blood and urine.psurgeons said not twisted gut as no big green vomit and pooing.
Medics said no immediate infection proof but wait 48 hrs for cultures.
First night she was nil by mouth. Thursdaymorning nice flat tummy good colour. Starving.
Started feeding by pm huge tummy colicky storms v miserable. Big poo and vomit.
Thurs night nil by mouth again she was miserable.
She is either feeding and in pain or staving and symptoms go,
Did suggest on thurs monin lactose intolerant as dh is but drs thought rule out serious things firs and presentation not consistn.
She had two X-rays and n ultrasonic yesterday to rule out oesophageAl issue, necrotic bowel and structural issues.
Last night they said maybe milkprotein intolerance.
So last two feeds havbeen of a formula called neocate.
I have to wait for milk to get put of my system before can try bf and speak to dietician.
Anyone else have a baby presn like this?
Are there tests they can do to confirm?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Jul-15 19:23:56

How is she getting on with the neocate? Does her tummy still swell? Can't help you with experiences of a baby with cmpa as its me with it, not the dc. Her symptoms do sound exactly like mine though.

Greenstone Sat 25-Jul-15 19:26:16

Oh poor thing. Just bumping for you. How is she since this morning?

Mamamia321 Sun 26-Jul-15 02:44:24

I bf her all day to test their theory and b 4pm sh was in sin. I would have thought after every feed?
So tried neocate. Unsettled bu they say my milk still in he system. Trying just neocate now overnight. She took quite a large feed just now so fingers crossed. I have started a milk free diet. Anyone Lear on exact diff between into,stance and allergy?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 08:24:38

They don't differentiate between intolerance and allergy anymore. It's more ige and non ige. Ige gives instant reaction, non ige, which I have is more delayed.

Kellymom describes it better than I ever could here smile

How did you get on overnight? smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 17:27:09

if you are on FB have a look at this cmpa and bfing page thanks

Superworm Sun 26-Jul-15 20:45:00

www.allergyuk.org/childhood-food-allergy/food-allergy-in-babies-and-children

Allergy UK have some good info on the two types of allergies.

DS has CMPA and is also allergic to soy. There's a cross over with soy and cows milk allergies and around 40% of babies that have CMPA will also have problems with soy.

I breastfed DS for a long time and excluded both of my diet. There's lots of other milks and free from food available. You get used to it but I would say exclude every trace from your diet in the beginning.

dairyfreequeen Sun 26-Jul-15 22:41:50

you poor thing, sounds like youve all had a really rough time. My ds was diagnosed with cmpa at 3 weeks, also in hospital as he was passing blood. It was horrible but im so glad it was picked up quickly. Most mums ive talked to have been fobbed off with 'colic' until a clear reaction emerges when weaning. Anyway, im still bfing at 9 months and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. It took maybe 4 days for an improvement and a couple of weeks for him to be so much better although i later realised he was reacting to egg and soya too. its so hard in those early days, i nearly gave up a lot of times because i wondered if it was selfish of me to keep bfing when it seemed to make him ill! But im very very glad i stuck with it, hes a healthy (91st centile) happy wee boy now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now