Talk

Advanced search

Stopping breastfeeding: emotional side effects? Anxiety, depression anyone?

(8 Posts)
DuhNuh Thu 23-Jul-15 20:35:52

I stopped exclusively breastfeeding my almost one year old DD last week. Since then the post natal anxiety I experienced around 6 months after having her that lasted until pretty recently has resurfaced. I'm panicking about every symptom I'm experiencing, which I'm assuming are hormone related, and not coping in busy situations or where the children are being challenging. I'm also tearful and sad.

(I also have hypothyroidism and am having my levels checked again to make sure it's not that - but I don't think it is as I'm not getting any of the physical symptoms I would when the levels are out).

Has anyone else experienced this and and how long did it last?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jul-15 23:03:26

Have you spoken to one of the Bfing Helplines? A BFC should be able to tell you if it is common or if you should seek medical assistance smile

scaredexcited Thu 23-Jul-15 23:38:30

I recently dropped from EBF to two feeds a day because I am shortly due to return to work. I felt extremely anxious and low for about 10 days afterwards; in hindsight, I dropped too many feeds too quickly. I went to my doc and he said that it could be hormone-related but that he would like to keep an eye on it. I feel fine now, thankfully, so I do feel that it was down to a shift in hormones. Maybe book an appointment to see your doctor if you still feel the same way in a few days' time?

weebairn Fri 24-Jul-15 07:32:12

I had this after stopping bf at 20 months. Very very weepy and low. ABout 2 weeks it lasted. Be kind to yourself x

DuhNuh Fri 24-Jul-15 07:43:21

Thank you. I think it is down to the hormones, I was just interested in other's experiences. I've got my thyroid bloods in a couple of weeks so that it will show if there's anything there.

I'll see how I go though and will maybe chat to my lovely health visitor if it goes on.

Quintanimo Fri 24-Jul-15 12:21:06

I go off a cliff when I stop breast feeding. I don't get PND - but definitely post-feeding blues.

RaspberryBeret34 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:29:07

Yes, I had this too when I stopped bfing. I also had random mid-month bleeding which I went to the doc for and she said it was due to hormones going crazy. The feeling down/anxious was much worse than any post-birth blues! It went on for a few weeks but it did ease. I took some St John's wort (not recommended if you are on hormonal contraception). I'm not sure if it did any good or was just placebo/time that helped but figured it was worth trying something! Go easy on yourself and give it some time flowers.

Quintanimo Fri 24-Jul-15 12:53:56

Some little irrational unreasonable part of me is in my head thumping the big red 'emergency' button hollering "where's baby; baby's not been fed; where's baby"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now