Talk

Advanced search

How the hell do you do the first bottle of the day??

(29 Posts)
Nessalina Wed 22-Jul-15 15:46:25

I've just stopped BFing DS (PFB) at 8.5 months, so I'm a formula virgin.
Previously when he woke me at 7-7:15am ish, I rolled out of bed zombie-style and whacked out a boob.
Am I right in thinking that I will now need to be up in time to boil a kettle, sterilise & make up a bottle, and give it enough time to cool down?? By my calculations that means getting up a good 30mins before him, and I am NOT a morning person.

Please tell me there's an easier way!!

SoupDragon Wed 22-Jul-15 15:47:26

Ready made from a carton!

Waggamamma Wed 22-Jul-15 15:50:58

make up feed the night before (as per instructions on the carton), flash cool and store in the fridge. Warm in a bowl of hot water or using a bottle warmer when required. Bottles can be stored for up to 24hr in the back of the fridge.

This method is fine according to WHO guidance. I would take my upstairs with me in a cool bag with ice packs.

Or use readymade but that can get expensive.

Waggamamma Wed 22-Jul-15 15:52:24

This www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3993035.htm

LowlLowl Wed 22-Jul-15 16:19:26

Make the formula up the night before - if you cool it quickly it will keep 24 hours so you can make a lot of bottles at once. Then warm before feeding (or not bother, my DS had his bottles straight out of the fridge - I'm probably an awful mother but he seemed to do alright on it).

Nessalina Wed 22-Jul-15 16:34:57

Thanks ladies, that sounds like a sensible way forward!

notanotherword Wed 22-Jul-15 18:47:03

I wouldn't be happy making up the formula the night before though we did it last time around with no effects. This time, we do it slightly more cautiously.

We sterilise bottles and leave them sitting beside the kettle. We always have a bottle of cooled boiled water in the fridge and a tiny amount of water in the kettle. The important thing, I believe, is for the formula to go into boiling water. So I fill up to the 40 mark, add my scoops of formula, shake and top up with water from the bottle in the fridge. Is exactly the right temperature for drinking.

notanotherword Wed 22-Jul-15 18:47:40

Sorry, fill up to the 40 mark with boiling water!

InQuiteAPickle Wed 22-Jul-15 18:54:01

I read that formula shouldn't go into boiling water as boiling water destroys the nutrients (I think)? Formula needs to be added to water that has been cooled to around 70 degrees, half an hour cooling time.

I think that formula that has been added to boiling water won't do any harm but it won't be very nutritious.

InQuiteAPickle Wed 22-Jul-15 18:55:08

It's a pita and I do not for one minute miss the faff of making bottles up. smile

Ohbollocksandballs Wed 22-Jul-15 18:56:11

Perfect prep machine

Providore Wed 22-Jul-15 18:57:08

Could you keep the morning breastfeed?

WhyStannisWhy Wed 22-Jul-15 18:57:17

Cartons. Simple.

crazytyke Wed 22-Jul-15 19:35:24

Make up night before, flash cool and store in fridge.

morning - 30 secs in the microwave, mix well, feed

Passmethecrisps Wed 22-Jul-15 19:38:36

I heard that inapickle so called the formula manufacturer I used.

The woman I spoke to explained that the instructions say not boiling water to avoid scalding - nothing to do with nutrients.

We premade bottles and stored them in the back of the fridge. If we had to use formula again I would go for the perfect prep machine

notanotherword Wed 22-Jul-15 19:39:19

No really?!!!! Why is this so difficult?!

billabye Wed 22-Jul-15 19:42:52

Another vote for Perfect Prep machine.

Chottie Wed 22-Jul-15 19:46:19

I would use prepared cartons.

Athenaviolet Wed 22-Jul-15 19:49:36

This is a reason why I kept the lazy morning bf going until DC was 2.

Was so much easier than breakfast/bottle!

SueBigFatSue Wed 22-Jul-15 19:52:12

Just take a carton and a clean, sterilised bottle up to bed with you at night. Ready in 10 seconds grin

InQuiteAPickle Wed 22-Jul-15 20:14:18

Oh right PassMeTheCrisps, that's alright then. I wished I had known, I wouldn't have cared about scalding myself! I'm sure it was on MumsNet that someone said it too! <<Shakes fist>> I'm such a sheep grin.

Ignore me everybody grin.

Aciderwouldbenice Wed 22-Jul-15 20:15:57

Perfect prep machine is a gift from god!

vvviola Wed 22-Jul-15 20:18:19

DH used to boil the kettle before he got in the shower, then by the time I got up with DD1, it was around 70 degrees, and I'd half fill and top up with cold boiled water from the fridge.

(With DD2 she was breastfed for an eternity because of her allergies so it never came up)

Passmethecrisps Wed 22-Jul-15 20:23:47

From the manner of the woman I spoke to I was not the first to call!

I also read it on MN

InQuiteAPickle Wed 22-Jul-15 20:28:12

See, I didn't have the intelligence to research myself, just believed that everyone on MN is omnipotent and everything I read on here is gospel. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now