Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

8 week old making clicking sounds on bottle - Advice please!!

(5 Posts)
Daffodil1210 Tue 21-Jul-15 21:37:50

I've just started my 8 week old DS on a bottle of expressed breast milk so he can be fed when I leave him with my DH or DM. He took the bottle fine and is managing to drink out of it but he makes a "clicking" sound a lot of the time. Does anyone know why this may be and how I can remedy it? I'm not sure if it's a "latch" issue (he made this sound when he was latched incorrectly when we first started BFing) or whether it's a bottle/teat issue. I'm currently using an Avent bottle and teat that came with my pump (newborn flow no.1 teat).

Any advice gratefully received!!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 21-Jul-15 21:43:52

It sounds like tongue tie. Worth asking the GP or your dentist for a referral to get it assessed. Even if he's feeding OK, it can have speech and oral hygiene implications later.

Do not accept the GP assessing it. Most of them have no clue how to diagnose a tongue tie. I know from bitter experience with my 2 DC. It annoyed DH so much that he actually has trained as a tongue tie practitioner (he's a dentist - not just a random decision!)

If you want to have it dealt with privately, you can look on the Assoc of tongue tie practitioners website and find someone local to you

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 21-Jul-15 21:45:43

Ps - it's relatively painless to have it sorted out now and much better than when older. To the extent that I am expecting g DC3 now and DH will snip the enivutabke tongue tie asap after birth!

Daffodil1210 Tue 21-Jul-15 21:58:35

Thanks for your reply - he was checked for tongue tie at birth and I was told that he was fine (by midwife in hospital) and later by HV. However, if it has been missed I'll ask for a referral to get it look at. Nobody nearby that I can get it looked at privately unfortunately so hopefully will be able to get the NHS sort it out if he does have it!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 21-Jul-15 22:19:00

Most midwives and health visitors aren't trained to spot it and it can be notoriously difficult to spot

Fingers crossed it gets sorted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now