Travel / time difference and bf supply?

(10 Posts)
PixelFloyd Tue 21-Jul-15 11:30:52

I'm probably overthinking this and it'll all work out but I'm about to go overseas with my bf 7-month-old. I've started to fret about what's going to happen to my supply with the 6 hour time difference! Will it just adjust magically??

DS currently feeds on demand but roughly every 3 hours in the day with 1 or 2 feeds at night, so there's often a 7-8 hour stretch overnight between feeds. But when we're abroad this stretch will be afternoon/evening so potentially needing 3 feeds in that space!

Equally the time difference will mean it's the middle of the night, so we should all be asleep, when he's normally having his first/second/third (?) feeds. So I will probably become engorged!

I'm concerned that 'missing' these feeds, even though he'll be demanding more later on, could mean my supply takes a dip and I'll struggle to keep up. And if he is struggling to get what he needs from me in the afternoons/evenings MIL will be champing at the bit to give formula instead.

Am I crazy? Any thoughts/advice from those who've done it (I realise thousands of BF women must make these journeys every year and probably don't even think twice about it!!)

Anotherdayanotherdollar Tue 21-Jul-15 11:35:19

Absolutely no experience of this but if it helps I don't think that your baby will magically adjust to the time difference either!

ShipShapeAhoy Tue 21-Jul-15 11:36:20

I think you're over thinking this. Your baby will eat when he's hungry which presumably to start with will be roughly the same time as always as your baby won't know about the time difference. As he adjusts and gradually changes your boobs will adjust too. Just carry on feeding on demand and I think things will be fine. I'm guessing you've started solids by now? With my dd she very slowly increased her solid intake and decreased her feeds, my body was barely affected by this. I got slightly engorged some days but nothing too bad.

PixelFloyd Tue 21-Jul-15 11:37:45

That is a good point!!

Anotherdayanotherdollar Tue 21-Jul-15 11:38:05

Realistically though, a 6 month old who is demand fed should be perfectly fine! Your supply is well established. Havery you started to introduce solids yet?

ShipShapeAhoy Tue 21-Jul-15 11:40:42

Also - my dd has gone from days where she would have only solids in the day and breastfeed at night, to days when she has been ill or hot and wanted to only breastfeed all day. Your breasts make the milk when the baby goes on the boob, it doesn't matter if your used to only feeding once a day but now feed five or whatever, once feeding is established your body provides what the baby needs. (Obviously not counting people with other medical issues that could affect feeding).

PosterEh Tue 21-Jul-15 11:40:56

You're massively overthinking. Your supply is well established and most of your milk is produced on demand so can adapt very quickly. If you get a bit engorged just hand express some off.

PixelFloyd Tue 21-Jul-15 11:42:27

I hadn't thought of it that way (as I'm used to immediately adjusting my own eating/sleeping habits to the new time zone) but that makes sense. If I just keep feeding on demand and expect it to be a more gradual process for DS's stomach to catch up to the time change it should sort itself out. Thank you.

PixelFloyd Tue 21-Jul-15 11:44:42

Yes, he's on solids too but hasn't yet seemed to demand less milk!

ShipShapeAhoy Tue 21-Jul-15 11:48:33

Yes I think my dd was about 8 or 9 months before she really took to solids. About 10months before cutting down on milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now