Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding while on course

(7 Posts)
Holas13 Mon 20-Jul-15 12:30:46

Has anybody had to sit a speed awareness course while breastfeeding baby? I have a 12 week old, on demand, cluster feeding baby and have just spoken to a very curt woman who feels she knows what would be a sufficient amount of feeding for MY baby on that day.

spekulatius Mon 20-Jul-15 23:08:48

How long is the course? Could someone bring baby in during break for you to feed?

chumbler Tue 21-Jul-15 14:02:29

you have the right to feed your baby whenever, whenever. go for it

tbtc Tue 21-Jul-15 14:16:56

For starters, forget about the curt woman..keep her out of the issue.

The course is 4hrs long in which there are 2 comfort breaks.

When is your course ie will your baby be a bit older then?

If your baby is THAT fussy you will not be able to concentrate on the course and I guess that's something you need to raise with the police who offered you a place on the course. Is there a deadline by which you have to take it?

Is she in any sort of routine? e.g. can you delay giving him/her a massive feed until just before you go in, leave the baby with someone else and then top her up during the breaks? Do you have a partner? At 12 weeks old, someone who knows the baby well should be able to hold the fort for 4 hours.

LIZS Tue 21-Jul-15 14:22:35

There is normally a window of a couple of months in which to book the course. Could you arrange it for as late as possible so your baby would be older. I did a language course when dd was that age and couldn't concentrate fully so got less out of it.

Holas13 Tue 21-Jul-15 21:04:06

Thanks all of you for your comments, suggestions. The course was today, it all worked out in the end. I was quite annoyed yesterday by the person I'd originally spoken to and was seeking some reassurance/advice. Once I'd calmed down though, I called them back up again and managed to speak to someone in charge, who then had to put a call in to the police! In the end... My other half came along and brought baby to me during the break (always the plan), I fed her prior to the course too (as you would). They provided me with space to feed discreetly and reassured me that if I needed to pop out to feed her again then that would be fine. That was all I'd called up for originally and yet felt like i was asking for the world. The breaks aren't long enough really and i was late back but they were fine. I had already pushed the course as far as they would allow and thought by 3 months we'd have feeding sorted, but 3 months is nothing really! That said though she was fine in the end. The course itself... Very interesting!! I obviously wouldn't recommend speeding but found the course great and can't understand why it's not just compulsory as a refresher or part of your lessons to begin with.

tbtc Thu 23-Jul-15 10:12:45

I'm so glad it all worked out in the end. A bit of compromise and understanding from both sides is often all that is needed.

The woman you spoke to first sounds like a moron.

I have also heard that these courses are very humbling eye openers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now