Talk

Advanced search

Will switching to formula help?

(13 Posts)
Ahardmanisgoodtofind Mon 20-Jul-15 04:01:33

I'll start by sayin Dd is only five days old,but im struggling with bf. I've had less than an hours sleep in the last 24(and not all at once). I have a ds aged nearly 5,I bf him for around 7months,and the first two were hell-he fed CONSTANTLY, in the end we introduced one formula feed either during day or early hours so I dp could feed while I slept.I don't have the energy to go through it all again, and I can't sleep when baby sleeps like last time because I have ds home-school holidays. If I make the switch to formula will it be easier?formula is given on a schedule and obviously dp could help, but I hate the thought of "giving up".
So tired.help

icklekid Mon 20-Jul-15 04:17:02

Could you express so dh can help? If not or you dont want to then I don't see why one or two formula feeds are a problem. I would try mix feeding rather than swapping to formula entirely (for ease no sterilising endless bottles etc) then again I formula fed on demand when I gave up breastfeeding so in terms of a schedule that wouldn't help. Is dh on paternity leave or have you friends /family that could take ds to park for a few hours to let you catch up on sleep? Don't feel bad about giving up put your health as a priority but it doesn't have to be all or nothing x

Betterthanme Mon 20-Jul-15 05:04:34

I gave formula every now and then. It was a godsend before my milk came in. I only breastfeed now. I used aptamil. My baby is one month old. First few weeks are so tiring no sleep sore nipples etc. if I hadn't given that little bit of formula to get through the worst I would probably have given up bf all together.

lilacclery Mon 20-Jul-15 05:37:18

Maybe maybe not, I bf ds for 8 months. He got formula when I wasn't about it didn't mean I got any extra sleep though as he just wasn't a sleeper & getting formula during the day at childminders didn't make him want any less bf during the night. They're all different by all means give a formula feed or two to give you a chance but it is early days too & your emotions are rife at the moment

FlamingoPleated Mon 20-Jul-15 06:28:51

It probably won't make your baby going any longer between feeds but it will mean DH can do a feed. You must get sleep no matter what.

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 21-Jul-15 01:38:01

I did type a long reply and thank you twice today but they aren't showing up. Another rough night ahead,she just won't go to sleep,im sore and tired and can't stop sobbing. Im fine through the day then it gets to early hours and I hit a wall and just crumble

lilacclery Tue 21-Jul-15 05:53:27

Do you get up to feed her every time or bring her into bed beside you?
Well done first week done now x

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 21-Jul-15 07:04:03

I try bringing her into me,but she then refuses to settle anywhere but on Me so I end up getting up with her, eventually she settles in her pram and I doze on sofa-too small and uncomfortable for actual sleep

applecore0317 Tue 21-Jul-15 15:57:52

Is the pram a carry cot? was wondering if you could put the carry cot on your bed once she is settled so that you can sleep comfortably?

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 21-Jul-15 21:38:16

Oh good thinking-it's worth a try-and thank you for replying. I've bought a bottle and one of those individual portions of formula as a last resort so dp can give her a feed while I sleep But I want to avoid the risk of confusing her, didn't think about sterilizing the bloody thing though so I'm googling sterilization methods. Im hoping tonight will be better than the last two

Nomorethongs Tue 21-Jul-15 21:47:34

Thinking of you. It is so tiring. We're at 3 months and while the feeding itself feels easier and less draining the sleep deprivation is still bad, not more than 2 hours sleep since she was born. Have a toddler too so can't catch up. I keep thinking she might drop a night feed any time now and I'll get some more sleep, I know things will be different in a few weeks or months but right now bags under my eyes are awful, I'm Snappy and feel guilty for not giving my toddler good quality. I've heard giving formula won't help sleep, if you can maybe persist with bf and steadily things will improve. It will be quite a short time with hind sight!! Xx

Nomorethongs Tue 21-Jul-15 21:52:31

Also my son didn't settle and he had silent reflux, could not be on his back and had to be propped up to settle. Could you talk to your health visitor to see if there might be some issue like reflux or tongue tie?!

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 21-Jul-15 23:06:24

I'll definitely ask the midwife/health visitor. I remember being exhausted with ds but I suppose I had more opportunity to sleep in the day,and even though he's nearly 5 (this weekend) he has SN,needs constant monitoring esp round dd, he will lash out,or can be clumsy/rough without meaning to be.I think the lack of sleep,worry about ds and hormones have combined to make me a weepy miserable mare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now