Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk at 12 months

(8 Posts)
CrumpetHead Tue 14-Jul-15 08:24:45

DS will be 12 months next month, did you switch straight over to cows milk or do it gradually? I saw that they do toddler formula from age 1-3, is there any point of this or they just money making?

mrsnec Tue 14-Jul-15 08:32:35

Hi, No experience of this but marking my place because I'm in the same position. I was thinking of starting by putting cows milk on normal cereal to see how that goes first then maybe one bottle a day and gradually increasing it.

Formula is so expensive here I don't really want to go on Aptamil 3 but our pediatrician has a bit of a thing about omegas so I'll consider adding supplement to cow's milk.

Dd is already on cheese and yoghurt though so I can't imagine there being a problem with cow's milk.

mmollytoots Tue 14-Jul-15 08:35:45

I've been giving cows milk in my baby's cereal from 10 months.

As long as your baby has a wide and varied diet you can start to wean onto cows milk.

Start but doing 3/4 baby milk 1/4 cows into their bottles and gradually degree the baby milk and replace with cows. They need to get used to the cows milk taste also

mmollytoots Tue 14-Jul-15 08:36:13

Wean onto cows milk *from 12 months

Wisteria1979 Tue 14-Jul-15 08:38:35

I would let it be baby led - with dc1 he still at 1 had a bottle in the morning and a bottle in the evening for a little while. Then he sort of went off it and we swapped to a beaker of cows milk. I plan to do the same with dc2 (now 10 months). I'll carry on until she wants something else. Maybe try by introducing cows milk as a drink with lunch or dinner and see how you get on?

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 14-Jul-15 08:39:44

Toddler milk is a rort - it's another invention by formula companies to give them something to legally advertise to keep their brand awareness up. It's just normal milk with completely unnecessary additives like sugar and flavourings. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Go straight onto cow's milk. It's fine to use on cereal, in porridge, sauces etc from 6 months old. If you've been doing this, the transition shouldn't be that much of a shock?

ExitStageLeft Tue 14-Jul-15 08:46:23

I just switched straight over at 11 months with DD

NickyEds Tue 14-Jul-15 12:39:13

We switched a week or so before ds's first Birthday. We considered mixing f with cows milk (literally in the bottle) and gradually increasing the amount of cows milk but in the end just thought sod it and gave him a full bottle of cows milk.He was absolutely fine just took it as normal. Although he had always been very laid back about milk, he was mix fed (to 6.5 months)so switched between bf, ebm and f most days! We also stopped sterilising at that point too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now