Talk

Advanced search

Breast milk smells of sick??

(10 Posts)
ToonLass Mon 13-Jul-15 12:49:27

Hello, my DD is almost 9 months and I'm trying to get her to take milk from a cup when I'm not there.

I'm rubbish at expressing, can only get 2oz max from each side with a lot of effort (manual/electric or hand). As a result I have a lot of 2oz bags in the freezer! My milk always smells and tastes fine when first pumped.

I've noticed however that as soon as I heat up the milk (fresh or frozen)it has an awful rancid smell and taste, like milk?

Is it off? I've never left it more than a couple days I fridge or couple months I freezer and I freeze as soon as I pump so very fresh!

Anyone else have this problem? Incidentally, she won't take it from a bottle or cup. But then again won't take formula or cows milk from them either!!

Thanks

StoryOfMyLife Mon 13-Jul-15 18:20:46

Ive not had this problem but there might be some help here;

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/

ToonLass Mon 13-Jul-15 19:04:20

Thanks, have had a look into high lipase but that makes it smell/taste soapy apparently - mine is definitely more like sick!

PuppyMummy Tue 14-Jul-15 06:08:19

I had this, just seemed like some milk I froze went off really quick. same method as you and some would defrost ok and some not.

I looked into the lipase thing and did consider if one persons 'soapy' smell was another person's rancid milk smell!

sorry not to have any advice but thought it might help that your prob not doing anything wrongsmile

ToonLass Tue 14-Jul-15 13:12:34

Thanks puppy - I just don't know if it's ok to use? I heated up fresh stuff that had been I fridge 2 days and same thing happened confused

PuppyMummy Tue 14-Jul-15 18:31:36

I wouldn't use it. if it smells off then it probably is. I found I literally had to express and freeze straight away or use it within 24hrs if in fridge. (so I used to express at work and then keep it in fridge to be fed at nursery the next day.)
any longer than 24 hrs in fridge and it would go off.

ToonLass Tue 14-Jul-15 19:00:45

I usually pump and freeze straight away though, no idea why it would be going off confused

BumWad Thu 16-Jul-15 11:06:07

I really doubt it's gone off. It's probably just the smell of your milk. Has baby been fed it? Have they been ok?

ToonLass Thu 16-Jul-15 12:17:21

It doesn't smell like that when its first pumped though? When defrosted or after couple days in fridge it smells awful!

She had it when she was a lot smaller, when she used to take a bottle. Was wanting to get her to take milk from a cup now so started pumping again. I did notice this last time too, she was never I'll after having any.

NorahBone Thu 16-Jul-15 21:52:43

I found this and wondered if breastmilk goes off faster than cows milk because it's not pasturised. I'm probably being really dim for thinking that, but I was really put off expressing after I tried a bit of my milk before I tipped it away and it tasted like baby sick. I nearly threw up myself sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now