How much express bm to give

(6 Posts)
Racheyg Fri 10-Jul-15 13:40:27

I am taking my oh out for a birthday dinner when ds2 will be nearly 10 weeks. I have a stash of bm in the freezer how much roughly shall I defrost for mil to give to him.

I will be out for about 4/5 hrs. Thanks all xx

makeminea6x Fri 10-Jul-15 13:44:37

Its a difficult call as it varies hugely what a bf baby will want ie between 1 and 4oz per feed at that age. I think I would accept that you might waste some. Probably roughly what you express each time you do it, per feed is a reasonable guess. Maybe get in a back up carton of formula just in case, if you'd rather not waste any?

Racheyg Fri 10-Jul-15 14:31:46

thanks, when i defrost it how quickly do i have to use it? i have saved bm in 2 oz pouches so i dont waste too much x

BertieBotts Fri 10-Jul-15 14:38:12

You could show her where it is and get her to defrost as needed? You just need to put the pouch, sealed, in a mug of boiling water. Then you can open and tip into the bottle when it's warmed.

It needs to be used within 24 hours of defrosting IIRC.

glorious Fri 10-Jul-15 14:50:05

Kellymom has some good info on this. Have fun! kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Racheyg Fri 10-Jul-15 20:52:54

Thanks all. Did not realise I could defrost this way, makes for less waste x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now