Talk

Advanced search

When did you stop feeding on demand?

(7 Posts)
CakeOClock123 Wed 08-Jul-15 09:07:10

My dd is a year old and has got cmpi so I'll feed her for as long as she wants.

Just wondering how old people's dc were when they stopped giving boob on demand?

jwpetal Wed 08-Jul-15 16:08:43

As they get older, they do not ask for it as much. My son had a cmpa and once he could have soya milk then I stopped. I believe he was just about 2.
But to be honest, it was only once a day at that point.

Imeg Thu 09-Jul-15 20:07:30

Erm, I started more scheduled feeding at about 4 months.... Though to start with I would have offered extra feeds if he'd asked, but I was down to a set three feeds a day by about 9 months I think? He took really well to solids so that helped. If he got grumpy in between I would do something else to cheer him up.

BendyMum15 Sat 11-Jul-15 08:26:42

I stopped on demand bf about a month before I was due to go back to work so that they got used to the idea. For my first that was at about 10 months and my second around 9 months or so. By those ages they were both eating solids well and had settled into a 'feeding routine' by then too so it was more a case of gently dropping the mid morning and mid afternoon feeds as these were the only ones I'd be at work for. As I only work part time I was still open to a bf on my days off if they were poorly or a bit grumpy or nap refusing.

poocatcherchampion Sat 11-Jul-15 08:29:33

I didn't really. But I stopped bf at 2.5 and 1 for my two. They just as kfor it less. I didn't feed if it was inconvenient as they got older - I asked them to wait until we were out of the shop, car etc

strawberryshoes Sat 11-Jul-15 08:30:28

DD2 is still on demand at 16 months. However, I draw the line and ask her to wait if the situation is completely inconvenient. Like I am on the loo, or in DD1s class school assembly. She is able to wait, and I know she sometimes asks more because she is bored than because she wants milk.

ShadowFire Sat 11-Jul-15 09:09:36

DS2 is still breastfed. We haven't tried dropping particular feeds. I've found that he's asked less and less as he's got older and eats more solid foods.

He gets fed on demand if it's convenient e.g. when we're at home he'll usually get fed on demand.

If we're out and about and it's inconvenient (e.g. in shop, if DS1 is feeding ducks in the park and I'm the only adult with them, etc) then he'll be asked to wait until we get somewhere more convenient, or offered water / a small snack instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now