Talk

Advanced search

Toddler bedtime milk

(6 Posts)
DevonianMummy Tue 07-Jul-15 20:34:59

Hi everyone

Does a 22mth old toddler really need bedtime milk? My little girl has hers in a sippy cup (not a bottle) but lately seems to have been using it as a bedtime delaying tactic, drinking it reeeeeeallllly slowly to put off going into her cot! I've been reluctant to drop it because she's always been on the skinny side and so it seemed like a good way to get extra calories into her, but she is a healthy weight and eats well during the daytime, including plenty of milk and dairy, so it's tempting to end the bedtime milk ritual which is now taking around half an hour, making the total bedtime routine inc. bath and story take around 1h15. I've tried getting her to drink her milk during story time but she won't do that, making it seem even more likely that she's using it as a delaying technique. Still I don't want to cut it down to only a few sips of milk, or none at all, and deprive her of some valuable nutrition for the night ahead, and also all my other mum friends with similar-age children still seem to give bedtime milk. What would your advice be? There doesn't seem to be much guidance out there, that I can find anyway, on this.

Thanks guys smile

purplemurple1 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:41:13

My 22 month was doing the same so we just have a cut off time ( this changes between 630 - 730 depending how tired he seems) he gets a 5 min warning and then its tv off, nappy, pjs, milk swapped for water, teeth, bed.
After a couple of days throwing out half a cup he learnt nd now drinks up fast or if he tired sometimes just takes his cup to the sink to get water so he can go to bed.

He is 85% height and weight so I'm not concerned about him missing a few cals.

DevonianMummy Thu 09-Jul-15 20:02:14

Thanks PurpleMurple1

Always nice to hear of someone else having similar battles! I only give her a very little milk now (she has hers last thing before going into her cot) and when it's gone, it's gone. I know she doesn't really particularly need it because I'm now offering her milk after dinner and after bathtime instead, and she rejects it each time!

HippyPottyMouth Thu 09-Jul-15 20:26:47

My 21 month old has milk with her stories. At 6.30, we finish up and she goes to bed. If she's actively drinking the milk she can carry on a minute, but if she's messing with it, it goes. Same as with food, I give her the opportunity, she decides whether to eat or drink it.

CultureSucksDownWords Thu 09-Jul-15 20:43:02

I've never given milk at bedtime. My DS used to have a breastfeed at bedtime until he self weaned at 17 months ish. Then I just didn't replace it with anything. He goes to bed fine and is a tall sturdy boy so he's not in need of any extra calories. So I don't think it's essential, if it's causing more trouble than it's worth.

museumum Thu 09-Jul-15 20:51:36

I give milk with stories and have to break off every two pages to say "drink your milk"... That way he gets most of it down him before stories end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now