Talk

Advanced search

difference between infasoy and wysoy

(19 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Tue 07-Jul-15 12:28:24

does anybody know?

DD has finally been diagnosed with cmpa- hoorah!!!

We've been told to give her infasoy. She was previously on wysoy (I put her on not Dr and made a massive improvement) consultant wants her on infasoy, then I read this article

does anyone know any other brands of infasoy? sad

glorious Tue 07-Jul-15 12:34:48

I'm no expert but have they tried hydrolysed milks instead? They are generally the first to be prescribed. Google hydrolysed milk formula and there's an nhs list as first result.

RavioliOnToast Tue 07-Jul-15 13:22:17

she is currently on nutramigen but is reacting to that aswell

glorious Tue 07-Jul-15 18:07:14

Ah I see. Have they tried pepti? It's even more broken down and is next on the list.
www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=DAecVej2O8a67gb0kKTQAg&url=http://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/National/British%2520Dietetic%2520Association/assets/MilksforChildrenwithaCowsMilkAllergy.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHTD1qH1ckCiw3vZVOOds0ZMoFqdA&sig2=6lpdHG8PG_es3n-nchnhAg

I'm afraid I don't know about infasoy but you could try in the infant feeding topic - if you report your own post you could have this moved there.

RavioliOnToast Tue 07-Jul-15 19:43:13

I will do that now, thanks glorious

nope haven't tried the pepti, she didn't even give me a prescription for the soya just told me to buy it. We've had to get wysoy anyway as can't get the infasoy. she kept going out the room to ask someone else and didn't do any tests or anything, didn't really seem interested to be honest sad

MarinaCoyle Tue 07-Jul-15 19:51:46

How old is your DD? Agree with PP, a Pepti formula or an amino acid one like neocate would be next on my list. Soya fine too but there is a tendency to avoid it before 6 months of age...something to do with hormones I think, though more of an issue with boys.

MarinaCoyle Tue 07-Jul-15 19:52:33

Oh but infasoy and wysoy are basically the same. Just different companies.

glorious Tue 07-Jul-15 20:13:36

That sounds irritating. They can be reluctant to prescribe pepti, nutrimagen etc because they're expensive, so you may need to be firm.

RavioliOnToast Wed 08-Jul-15 07:36:04

I think she put her on wysoy because I said I'd already put her on it cause I was sick of being shut down and prescribed gaviscon at the Dr's and it really really worked, my understand is also that babies with a cows milk intolerance can develop a soya intolerance also.

my DD is 5 months today.

glorious Wed 08-Jul-15 08:39:35

I see. Good that it's working well for her. I guess it comes down to whether you're happy with Wysoy or would rather keep trying the more generally recommended ones.

My Dd isn't allergic to dairy but she has several other allergies. Have you had any weaning advice? Mine would be that often a reaction will happen the second or third time, so don't presume a food is ok and mix it with something else until you've tried it several times.

Good luck whatever you decide on the milk.

RavioliOnToast Wed 08-Jul-15 09:09:45

thank you glorious were waiting for a dietician appointment through. I may make another gp appointment and see if she can try one of the amino acid formulas as it would give me a little peace of mind at least

glorious Wed 08-Jul-15 09:17:01

No problem smile. Hope it goes well

RavioliOnToast Wed 08-Jul-15 09:31:59

we have an appointment today, what can I arm myself with?

tooth decay
fertility issues?
progesterone in milk?

anything else? and am I right about the above?

RavioliOnToast Wed 08-Jul-15 09:37:37

Oh and how an intolerance to soya can be developed

glorious Wed 08-Jul-15 09:54:27

Not an expert and I don't know about tooth decay. But I'd heard of:
Higher salt;
Higher aluminium.
a few other things at this link www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/bottle-feeding/soy-formulas

There's no evidence soy formula is actually harmful though so please don't worry!

Personally I'd focus on the fact that the guidance says to try pepti/neocate first. Medicine is a very guidance led profession. Then it's not about your opinion or research but what people who know more than either you or the GP recommend.

RavioliOnToast Wed 08-Jul-15 10:03:15

do you know where I can get the guidance up? is it on the nice guidelines?

glorious Wed 08-Jul-15 10:59:07

No they are regional prescribing guidelines. Some came up when I Googled nhs guidance infants cmpa. You could add your area and see if they are online. They seem to be by Clinical Commissioning Group so you might need to look up what yours is called first.

I'm not an HCP btw and neither do I have any great knowledge of this! I've just had to do similar things for my DD.

RavioliOnToast Wed 08-Jul-15 11:23:06

no I understand, thanks again glorious grin

glorious Wed 08-Jul-15 11:49:31

No problem, sorry if I went on about not knowing anything! Best of luck today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now