Talk

Advanced search

How to keep expressed milk fresh whilst at a day event?

(7 Posts)
Jessikawabit Sun 28-Jun-15 23:00:51

I've been invited to an event all day and i've decided to be brave and leave my almost 3 month old at home with his dad for the first time. However i'm breastfeeding and will need to express whilst i'm out, which i have a battery opperated pump..... But i have no access to a fridge and will be on the move, moving round the event all day. Any way i can prep and not waste the milk or purchase something to help with keeping my milk fresh?

StarlightMcKenzee Sun 28-Jun-15 23:07:38

I understood that it didn't need to be refrigerated but will have to go look that up. Apparently the good stuff gets LESS bacteria-containing the longer you leave it, not more.

griselda101 Sun 28-Jun-15 23:13:17

can't you get some ice bag things and a cool box or something, pack it full of the icebags then put milk bottles inside to keep them cool. that should keep the temp down for the day.

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Sun 28-Jun-15 23:17:29

It'll stay fresh for 3-4hrs in a warm room and 4-8 in a cool one according to kellymom. I used to pump during the night then take the milk down to the fridge in the morning.

kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

Jetpackplease Sun 28-Jun-15 23:39:09

I second the suggestion of a small cool bag. I got one and a couple of small ice packs from Amazon. If you pour the expressed milk into the special storage bags (I use the lansinoh ones), you can lie several flat in the cool bag and should be able to fit a few in. You can sandwich them between the ice blocks.

TwoLittleBlooms Tue 30-Jun-15 08:34:57

I bought a koo-di fridge to go for carrying ebm if out for a few hours. The maxi version keeps cool to 5°c for up to 8hours.

I bought mine at Argos but doesn't seem to be in stock but have now found it at Tescos - seems to be the cheapest I can see :

http://www.tesco.com/direct/koo-di-fridge-to-go-large/211-4446.prd

TwoLittleBlooms Tue 30-Jun-15 08:36:26

[[ http://www.tesco.com/direct/koo-di-fridge-to-go-large/211-4446.prd]].

hopefully link will work now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now