Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and formula feeding

(4 Posts)
GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 26-Jun-15 11:18:10

Sorry for vague title.
I'm pregnant with twins. I breastfed my dd for over a year, but it was a huge struggle. For various reasons which I have thought carefully about, I don't want to breastfeed my twins.

I'm wondering what it the best way to establish formula feeding. Would it be worth combining breast and bottle for a week or two just so they get the colostrum and early milk? Or would that just cause me more problems and encourage more milk? Would it be best to give my boobs no simulation at all, formula feed straight away and then I won't get so engorged?
I definitely want them to be fully on formula asap.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 26-Jun-15 18:38:38

I think your milk will come in anyway, so doing colostrum feeds I don't think will affect that too much. Then once your milk does come in, if you're breastfeeding fully or mostly, I guess that would encourage your milk supply. If you start reducing the frequency of breastfeeding then I think your supply would naturally dwindle too.

yallahabibi Fri 26-Jun-15 18:56:46

There are medications for suppression. I was given an antihistamine . It was just an over the counter one that you would use for allergies.

UpUpAndAway123 Fri 26-Jun-15 19:45:15

Giving your babies the colostrum will give them the best start. As pp stated, your milk will most likely come in anyway. There's probably a couple of things you could do: do both breast and formula from day 1, after a couple of days gradually decrease bf and increase ff until ff; exclusively bf for a few days, then introduce bottle and gradually cut down on bf.
Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now