Talk

Advanced search

How much milk should I express?

(4 Posts)
Maybear Mon 22-Jun-15 20:38:42

I have just given my 6 week baby 150ml of expressed milk one hour later his is crying hungry again. He is weighing at 12lbs 2oz.
How much do others give or is there a guideline amount?
When I fed him he is on for ten minutes and goes between feeds 5 hours.
Thanks.

ApplesTheHare Mon 22-Jun-15 21:29:29

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ provides guidelines but all babies are different. You know your baby best, but if you're unsure you'll soon find out by offering more milk. Better to offer it and it not be needed than have a hungry baby smile

ApplesTheHare Mon 22-Jun-15 21:29:55

Ugh you might have to copy and paste the link, stupid app

squizita Tue 23-Jun-15 09:08:55

The rule of thumb is 24-28 fl oz per 24 hr but of course how that splits up depends on feeds per day, my dd has 7 or 8 feeds a day so would have smaller bottles than a baby who sleeps all night. Oh and the size of feeds varies during the day - my 9 month old has a quick feed at lunch time but a longer "emptying" feed before bed and in the morning.

If you're going away for a few hours, what I do is leave 1 oz per hour I would be away plus 3 oz extra just in case. I also give a top up feed from the breast before to "reset the clock". My dd has never run out - though I haven't been away more than a 3 hr block.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now